What's new
What's new

Short documentary on small fab shop

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Member Frank Ford first made us aware of this high quality short.

From the Veta Brevis film notes-

Metal-fabricator Neil Youngberg never planned on taking over his grandfather's business and is now faced with passing on his legacy.

In this short-form profile, VitaBrevisFilms interviews Neil Youngberg for the beginning exploration of our "Professional" series. Shot on location in Neil's metal fabrication shop, the 3rd generation craftsman gives a sincere overview of his life's work, dispensing hard-worn wisdom while illuminating the sobering realities of the role private business plays in an ever changing economic landscape. A deeply personal project for all involved, this on-going series seeks to shed-light on forgotten trades and practices in an evolving America.

PROFESSIONal on Vimeo

It’s a shame that those trade skills can’t be passed on to young generations. I have been a tool & die maker and CNC machinist for 38years. So much is being done overseas that a lot of these trades are dying.
I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt us in the future.
Luis

I'm really moved by this video. I got the chills when I saw this because I could see it being me in 30 years. I'm a 25 year old engineering tech who's a draftsman to pay the bills, but my real passion is building things the good old fashion way - by hand.
Unfortunately I've got a lot of slack to pick up, none of my peers know what a Bridgeport is let alone how to use one. We didn't have shop class in school due to budget cuts, but that didn't slow me down. I searched out and bought my first machine in 2004 when I was a Junior in high school. $30 bucks I picked up a 1939 atlas lathe. Yea I said 30 bucks, don't get me started on that story. Small thing fit in the truck of my car. By far the best investment I ever made. Since then I've been gathering all the tools & knowledge I can. as a matter of fact I saw the need & opened Left Field Engineering. One man custom machine & fabrication shop. My philosophy is: Everybody knows a guy with a Bridgeport, I want to be that guy.

Please, check out my website I think it's worth a click.

www.leftfieldengineering.com

By the way, anyone in MA wanna chat sometime PM me.

I really enjoyed this video and the message

so much that i actually had all our staff watch it this morning

our shop is very similar to the one in the video. our old timers are getting ready to retire...

movie.JPG

There are still young people who like doing this sort of thing. He explains why there are not more of him with, "I would have made a great engineer". People like him have become engineers more so than crafts men today. And the way the world works is just different. Things are changing not dying, and change is tough.

Refreshing to see a quality film these days and with great light!

It's so easy to shoot motion pictures these days that we are flooded with junk.

4 generation shop in Abilene, TX doing repairs on oil field equipment.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BckZ4i1BzF0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Being raised in a similar shop inviroment to both of these places ( mine was somewhere in between the two as far as technology ) I can truly appreciate both of these videos. I also Have my own boys that I am passing on the knoweldge to as well. Both of these videos are an awesome inspiration to me.

Very interesting...stories like these never get the attention and support they need. Im also trying to promote my little Docu-Series on Why Factories Shutdown. It looks at Manufacturing here in North America, how it started, how it ended and wheres it going. If your interested take a look (6 part series)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcl6AKhdcBqAil1E4n3ZRdhIiNnttucdj[/video]

Back