What's new
What's new

Avey Size 1 Drill Press w/var Speed Drive ??

mjk

Titanium
Just aquired an Avey Size 1,Type C, Style BMA-4 drill press. 3/4(?)hp 3 phase motor, mt 1 spindle range 150-11,500 rpm.
(Yes not a typo 11,500 rpm)
It has the (2) 4 step pulleys along with the dual variable diameter pulleys for infinate speed adjustmentwithin each of the 4 ranges.
Originally put in service in 1961,it is very good shape and very heavy (700 lbs??) but the variable speed mechanism needs repair. Are these drives reliable once working?
Can I assume the motor spindle must be turning to make an adjustment?

Yes, I know this thread is old

Yes, I know this thread is old, but my response applies to all vari-drives.

They need to be ran through all the speeds, each day. That's what one data plate indicated .

Before I would take a vari-drive apart to clean out the old lube, remove rust, etc. I would attempt to add some penetrating oil, if possible, to the shafts of the variable pulleys.

I would start the machine, and come back in an hour. Let it warm up and the 'good vibrations' do what they can.

If no good result, seriously consider the proper way for the adjusting lever to move, and affix a bungee cord to the handle and some proper anchor. You can always apply more tension, so don't blame me if you snap off the handle.

Get it tensioned, keep it running, and come back in an hour. Unless it was forced and damaged, my guess is 'goo' is the difficulty.

I have a vari-drive Wells-Index awaiting clean-up, and if I have any drive problems, my plan will be the plan above.

Good Luck

Back