What's new
What's new

Jenix vs Mitutoyo DRO for Lathe

Grits

Stainless
I am looking for a DRO for my new old Nardini 1440E. I have a low end Mitutoyo on my BP and like it. It does not have all the bells and whistles but it does what I .want it do; however, I do wish I had the bold pattern feature. Below are links to the DROs on eBay I am looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&item=260023733398&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jenix-digital-readout-system-dro-for-40-60-lathes_W0QQitemZ260022998497QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41939QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I sure would like to hear ya'll coments on these units or if there is a better mouse trap for less dough, I would like to hear that too.

I have never used a DRO on a lathe so I would sure listen to advise on what is important and what is not important.

Thanks

Grits

Hey Grits,
Another one to check out is this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-AXIS-METAL-LATHE-DRO-12x36-14x40-DIGITAL-READOUT_W0QQitemZ230018676289QQihZ013QQcategoryZ97230QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is one that I sell, but it is a very low cost DRO compared to most, and it has just as many if not more features than that Jenix. And I give a 3 year warranty on them.
We do carry the Mitutoyo Too, and many others.
Honestly in my experience, it is that the Newall DRO is the Best, but also the most expensive. Then the Sino, Mitutoyo, Jenix, and all the others are just about the same except for price.
The only thing I ever use in the features on a DRO is the tool offset, and the radius or absolute button (one does 1/2 of the movement, since if you move in .001" on the lathe, you are taking off .002" total)
Other than that I don't use anything more, and all of them come with that feature so it is a matter of preference.
Really we have had Excellent luck with the Sino, for the price they cannot be beat.
And you don't have to bid on the one on Ebay, just email me if interested in it. Or if you want one of the others, I can get the best deal for you, special for PM Members that are active.

I have a Jenix on my mill. Bought it from the guy that imports them on ebay. Seems to be a great DRO so far for the year and a half I have had it, although I don't use any of the features, just use it as a readout. Never owned a Newall, Mit, or any of the oters, so I can't really compare them

I have a 3-axis set of Jenix scales on a Shumtech DRO head on my mill, and I'm in the process of ordering a second Jenix head and scale setup for my lathe. Jenix is made in South Korea, and they're very high quality.

In my humble opinion, Jenix is a lot higher quality than the Birmingham/Uniq/Sino Chinese scales and DRO's. On the other hand, a Birmingham/Uniq setup is much better (about twice the resolution) than the entry-level DRO's using linear caliper scales, for a very small difference in price.

Tim Barnard, the guy who runs LinearMeasuringSystems (selling the Jenix' systems on Ebay) is a really nice guy, and a straight-shooter. He sells Jenix, Birmingham/Uniq, Accu-Rite, Mitutoyo and Newall. Give him a call and he'll give you a very unbiased comparison of the various price-points. His 800 number is listed on his Ebay auctions.

The Jenix aren't quite as nice as a Newall, but at about half the price, it's a real bargain in my opinion...

I have a Bridgeport with old Mitutoyo scales (they use a 3 pin connector). Is there a replacement readout to be found for these, or do I need a whole new system? Can the Jenix or other readout interface to them?

Thanks,

Jordan

I have the 3-axis Jenix on my rockwell mill and have been very pleased. I also have to second lazlo's reccomendation of Tim @ linearmeasuring systems. I had a problem with the installation (totally my fault) and Tim took care of me and got me out of a jam.

I have a 3-axis set of Jenix scales on a Shumtech DRO head on my mill, and I'm in the process of ordering a second Jenix head and scale setup for my lathe. Jenix is made in South Korea, and they're very high quality.

In my humble opinion, Jenix is a lot higher quality than the Birmingham/Uniq/Sino Chinese scales and DRO's. On the other hand, a Birmingham/Uniq setup is much better (about twice the resolution) than the entry-level DRO's using linear caliper scales, for a very small difference in price.

Tim Barnard, the guy who runs LinearMeasuringSystems (selling the Jenix' systems on Ebay) is a really nice guy, and a straight-shooter. He sells Jenix, Birmingham/Uniq, Accu-Rite, Mitutoyo and Newall. Give him a call and he'll give you a very unbiased comparison of the various price-points. His 800 number is listed on his Ebay auctions.

The Jenix aren't quite as nice as a Newall, but at about half the price, it's a real bargain in my opinion...

A little late on adding to this post, but this gives me hope concerning my just purchased Jenix 3 axis setup from Linear Measuring Systems. Sounds like Jenix is actually much better quality than I realized and I'm glad I was able to get a 3 axis 12"x30"x16" for my 9x42 BP for $675 and free shipping! It should arrive in two weeks.

Back