What's new
What's new

3 Phase switch for 2-speed motor

jpevner

Stainless
Hi;

I need a Three position (off, lo, hi) switch for a 3phase 2speed motor. The original was some odd Europeanone (Mueller?). Does anyone know of any online places to look for this?

TIA,

Jon P.

Possibly Klockner Mueller.Was it a rotary cam switch?If so there should be a part number around the top segment under the flange.Hundreds of variations of these available but should not be a problem to replace if you know the part number or the type of windings in the motor.
regards,Mark.

http://klocknermoeller.com/?OVRAW=klockner%20moeller&OVKEY=klockner%20moeller&OVMTC=standard

Also, the drum switches I've been involved with had several wiring diagrams under the coverplate to show how to hook up the switch for all kinds of different 2 speed and reversing applications. It depends if the drum switch can be externally mounted or you are trying to do more of a cosmetic replacement where the switch was buried in a purpose-built cavity and the wiring runs internal to the machine.

-Matt

I am not sure what you have but several years ago I bought a 17 X 55 lathe that had a 2 speed motor. The owner told me he removed it from the shop due to having so much electrical problems with it. After about a year I decided I'd see if I could fix it. I removed the panel and started drawing a schematic. What I discovered was the motor ran in a Wye connection for one h.p.-speed. It ran in a delta connection for the other. I changed out the burned control contacts that had been the problem and use the machine fairly often with no problem. Just to say, this may be the way yours is wired.

Not sure about European stuff, but in the US, 2 speed 3 phase motors are available as 2 speed single winding and 2 speed, 2 winding. Its imperative to know which one you have before connecting it to a speed switch or 2 speed starter. A mistake will smoke the motor in short order. We won't go into the details of how I know this :D

Thanks everyone for the replies. It may well be Klockner Mueller. I will look in a few minutes. As to what windings, Well, the motor has two sets of connections {u,v,w} ands {x,y,z), so I am assuming that the switch takes the incoming 3 phase and switches it to either of these two sets, or to nowhere for the off position.

This all started when I accidentally pinched the armored cable to the head of my Rambaudi. It was a little too long and flopped in the way. I was pretty intent on what the cutter was doing, and didn't notice it. It wound up shorting out a wire and breaking the casing. :(

I replaced the whole thing with flexible conduit.
But when I was removing this Mueller switch to do that, it fell apart.It is a modular thing andthe end cap came off allowing all the guts to come out, including all the little red cams. :mad: :mad: I don't believe I can put it all back together again, it might have used special jigs at the factory. I also blew out one of the fuses. It sits in a wierd ceramic fuse holder. When one of these fuses go, a little pice of metal pops forward, which you can see through a clear part of the screw-in capwhich holds the fuse. Anyone have any idea where I can get these??
regards,

Jon P.

Jon-

As someone else already determined what you probably have is a Klockner-Moeller switch. If you can find a part number on it I can probably help you find where to get one or a equivelent of another make. As far as the motor wiring goes, the best thing to do is get the nameplate info off the motor, hopefully it's eiher american or one of the more common european makes.

Unfortuanately I know exactly what you're talking about with those fuses. The only place I've ever seen those was in a Toshiba molding machine. I used to have to buy them for it, but I don't work there anymore and it's been about 12 years since I did. I'll have to do some thinking about that. Hopefully there's some information on the fuse, voltage and amperage at a minimum.

Take care, I'll see if I can find something on the fuses.

Bernie

Jon-

Regarding the fuses, I'm pretty sure they are either Diazed or Neozed fuses. Both match your description. I located a place on the web that says they have them. Maryland Metric, mdmetric.com. If you give them the dimensions of the ones you need they should be able to identify them.

Take care
Bernie

Jon,take heed of metalmunchers statement,the same applies to european motors.I`ve got a Rambaudi mill,I can have a look at the motor if it`s the same.What model is yours?
regards,Mark.

Bernie;

Thanks for the hint on the fuses. I will measure mine tonight. They look somewhat like the ones in the SIBA catalog.

Metal;

I have a Rambaudi V2.

Thanks folks!

Folk;

The switch was a Klockner Mueller. It is clearly a replacement for an even older original. I was able to read the part number, and KMparts is contacting the factory. Unfortunately it is a custom job. So big $ and time I am sure.

The fuse is still a bit of a mystery. It is 2in by 1/2 dia, and has a self indicating little bit of stuff the pops off if it blows. These are apparently called cylinder fuses. There are at least two styles of similar shape. One of them was specifically used in Italy. Yeesh. I will probably have to order this from somewhere as I doubt anyone carries it locally ???

Back