What's new
What's new

R8 collet question

snowman

Diamond
For 5c, they make a collet that can be bored out, somewhat like a potchuck. Larger diameter can be held than standard 5C, just not held as deep.

Do they make such a thing for R8, or am I going to have to make one?

I need to turn some small parts down, and my lathe doesn't have the spindle speed, so I'm thinking I could do it in the mill pretty easy....

unfortunately, they are an odd size, 1.15" diamter (the part chucked, not the part being machined)

-Jacob

probably the easiest explanation from my experience is that 5C's are made to hold materiel /stock/ . . while R8's are made to hold tooling ie mills . . end mills come in specific diameters so no need for a EM R8

Just a wild idea :rolleyes: , knowing nothing of your part.

However, with the idea that the OD to be chucked is 1.150" and the diameter to be turned is something small, I'm guessing ~1/4"......like a pilot on the end of a rod.....

Can the design be changed such that the pilot is something already available such as a dowel pin or piece of drill rod such that you can face the end of the large dia part flat, ream undersize for a press-fit, cutoff the small pilots and carefully deburr with a file, then press home.

If that is remotely close, it's probably not good for a long weekend job, special tools and/or supplies may be needed.

FWIW, good luck with the project.

-Matt

Back