What's new
What's new

OT Dad is 90 today

Steve Stube

Hot Rolled
Yes 90 today and we are having a Birthday Party for him tonight.

Did you ever notice how slim the Birthday Card selection is for a "90" year old - I mean with "You're 90" on the card?

I'm not sure if it's a surprise party but I do know the family turnout is going to big!

Happy Birthday to your dad, Steve.

Mine came darn close to checking out at near 50, then again two months ago. But he'll be 70 on July 15. His mom made it to 100 plus one month!!!
smile.gif

I hesitated to bring an OT thread back up but I did want to thank you fellows for your kind wishes.

Now that RR has opened the door I will add that yes there are some very nice Birthday cards with "90" on them - I saw 3 yesterday among the many thoughtful cards he received. My sister got the winner in my opinion expressing the lessons imparted along the way. That had been my train of thought concerning Dad the past few days.
Many times I have cause to reflect on the tips Dad provided. I ask myself, how did I know that, then the memory returns and it was Dad that showed me. From making kites from scratch (Dad was the Scout leader)to making the molds and pouring babbit mains in a Model A Ford block. House moving and building, raising animals, butchering, farming, camping and fishing, repairing and making tools to do a repair ..... lots of lessons just for the taking. I've made use of much that I learned from Dad. Son of a butcher he worked for Grandpa then Packard and Dodge in Detroit to Instrument journeyman at Dow for 30 some years with numerous other job/life experiences along the way. At 80 he pretty much stopped working in his home shop. No grumbling about it - I think he knew it was time to finally take a rest from the "always busy" making something to have more time with family and relaxing. Dad has Alzheimer's and after a year at home with care progressing to 24 hour status went into a nursing home <3 months ago. He actually seems to be doing better in the nursing home than when he was last at his home. He was fully alert and had a great time with all the festivities yesterday.

A good turnout and lots of fun for all, the young and not so young.

Happy birthday from South Carolina to your dad. I turned 73 my last birthday and would be pleased no end to think that I might get somewhere near that. I have been trying to decide which of my sons gets what when my stuff is dirstibuted. Checking with them first, I have sold off a good many of the projects that I will not have time to get to. I haven't missed any of those things.

Jim

Back