What's new
What's new

Never underestimate the cheapness of the american public

Ries

Diamond
Grizzly has officially dropped the HLV-H clone from their lineup- my guess is that at 17 grand, they didnt sell a single one.
But they are unloading another container full of those dandy 7x12's as we speak.

I wonder if that means there is one lonely orphan up there in Bellingham that will be out in the parking lot for the May tent sale?

Soon to be joined by the single Centronics CNC Green Bear they had built for the catalog pics, no doubt.

Soon to be joined by the single Centronics CNC Green Bear
If you mean Centroid...a fellow right here in Beaufort, SC has a Grizzly 3 axis Centroid CNC "Bridgeport" on order. Says the price is $20,000 and his may be one of the first ones. He's getting kinda impatient to get word of a delivery date.

I lost the sale of a 1990 CNC Maho MH500e2 to that Grizzly. He's now convinced Centroid is the best control on the planet Earth, and the mill will be made in Tawain instead of China.

Of course the Maho is like new condition and appearance, more versatile, rigid, infinitely better quality and even in 1990 the control had more features than the Centroid does today. And the price was considerably less for the Maho than the Grizzly Centroid. But no matter, that Green "Bridgeport" has an irresitable appeal to the newbie mill owner.

Don that was a lot of typing to call a guy a dumbass. :D

Oh, and he was one. ;)

Dave

Well, not really dumbass...just "uncomfortable" with any machine not perceived as the "norm" I suppose.

Plus that Green Bear is a warm and fuzzy looking thing....looks like you can just snuggle right up with him and he'll protect you.... :eek: ;)

Ries,

Not to be critical or anything, but I have one of those 7x lathes. I paid 50 bucks for it, but that's besides the point. Anyone who wants to get involved with the hobby can get a 7x lathe for a reasonable amount of money...if I'm going to spend 17 grand on a hardinge style lathe, I'm going to buy a reconditioned hardinge.

-Jacob

if I'm going to spend 17 grand on a hardinge style lathe, I'm going to buy a reconditioned hardinge.
Also I think the folks wanting a brand new HLV-H copy would have a tendency to prefer buying one of the alternative slightly more "tasteful" HLV-H copies, such as the Sharp or Cyclomatic versions. The HLV-H buyer, even those of copies, would tend to shy away from the World Wide Wrestling Federation "Grizzly" belt buckle nameplate if prices were similar on the alternatives.

By the way, have you ever noticed one never sees a photo of or the name of the owner of Grizzly Corp ? Care to guess why ?

My guess would be a Chinese corp. owning and operating Griz.
Nah, nothing that devious. I was just repeating gossip from one of their competitors, that the owner "Shiraz Balolia" grew up in Kenya and is reluctant to take the spotlight due to concerns of his "foreign" overtones.

Doesn't matter to me a whitt, but just thought it humorous that the Grizz president is concerned some of the good old boys buying his woodworking machines might be put off a bit by the owners roots.

Only photo I could find is one of his back side addressing a conference meeting !

Inside0.jpg

Don - That the first time I have even seen his first name. Always seems to be printed as "S. Balolia", which for some reason I thought was Indonesian in origin?

My opinion on the HLV-H clone, is that Grizzley simply does not appeal to that market segment. The lathe is too high end at $17,000. Suspect that is why they are marketing a more traditional looking CNC machine, instead of a fully enclosed modern marvel.

I would agree that a $17,000 lathe is not what the average Grizzly customer wants. And that the people who do want one are gonna go to a company that has a more industrial knowledge base.

My point, I guess, is that Grizzly, and Harbor Freight, basically cant get the money to the bank fast enough, there is so much of it coming in, selling really low quality tools.

And even if they try to sell a better tool, nobody wants it.

Now admittedly, the market for HLV-H type lathes, both genuine Hardinge and clone, is probably well below 200 a year nationwide. Probably even below 100 a year. There just isnt much demand for one.
But even if Grizzly were to come up with snazzy, modern, "Haas-type" cnc machines, I dont think they could sell them.
People want cheap, cheap, and low cost. Quality and precision are way down the list.

I dont understand why people think Grizzly and HF are chinese owned- they are both clearly the result of somebody who really understands american consumers, marketing, and culture.

Both are very much american businesses, in the grand tradition of Sears Roebuck and Monkey Wards.

Although the owner of Grizzly may have a foreign sounding name, like I do, or many of us, for that matter, he is pretty american. He just like to keep a low profile. But you can see him at the Bellingham store from time to time, and he is just a regular guy, who sincerely likes tools and making stuff. He makes a lot of guitars himself, and has quite a fancy home shop. He carries several tools specifically for guitar making that probably dont make a ton of money, but he wants to offer them. And he is very proud of the fact that many custom guitar makers use various Grizzly tools, including Fender and Gibson. I am sure there was a picture of him holding a guitar he made in one of the older catalogs.

Yeah, I am from Mars, and we all have funny names there.

I have never seen a single employee at Grizzly who was of east Indian descent. Aside from the boss, of course.
I go there maybe two or three times a year, to buy things with no moving parts, when I am too desperate to wait for mail order.
(the nearest real machinist supply store to me would be about 2 hours one way drive, through terrible traffic)
Every single employee I have ever dealt with was all american white bread whatcom county rural gum chewing type normal.

My guess is the owner comes from a long line of overseas indian traders, who are some of the hardiest capitalists on the face of the earth- in the most remote places, they are to be found, seeking oportunity, and making money. He did come down from Vancouver.

I think he has something like 11 interlocking companies now.

I have never bought anything from Grizzly or Harbor Freight. I have looked at their catalog a time or two. It is just the same stuff you can get anywhere.

Grizzly is the Wal-Mart of the metal/wood working industry. They do have good marketing skills. The Springfield Mo. store has a seprate lounge with big screen TV for the wives or family to sit and wait. There is a waterfall fish pond in the middle of the display floor, along with a glassed walled wood working shop where they have live demos.

I am not saying that Griz quality is equal to Bridgeport, Southbend etc. Just that they are good at promoting and selling to hobbyists. My Griz mill is good enough for hobby work, but I am still looking for a good used BP mill localy.

ETA Art_Deco is right Griz, HF are all the same Chinese brands with different paint or labels. Many times you can get the same item cheaper off of Ebay

MMoore..so he was named after a grape ! Sheesh, I could have been Scuppernong Thomas if my momma had more imagination !

It sure would be nice if the Bellingham store was actually open on, oh I don't know, maybe Saturday or Sunday? You know, the two days many of us local "hobbyists" want to buy stuff....

Yes, I know, the much talked about "tent sale" is on a Saturday. Pretty generous of them giving us one day to shop per year...

But I'm not bitter... no sir! Just damn glad I happened to check their website last Saturday before I headed out on the 3 hour drive. ;)

The Sprinfield store is (or was) open on Saturdays. Been awhile since I was there last.

Went to the tent sale once. People had camped out in the parking lot all night to be in line. The machines had tags on them, you tore the top copy off the machine and took it to the check out. Several people (the campers) went around tearing tags off of several machines so it was "sold". After they looked thru the lot they put the tags back on the machines they didn't want.

Check-out even on small items was an hour wait, and there were no real bargains. First and last tent sale I am going to.

Back