Halcohead is offline Stainless

Does anyone know where to get aluminum, doublt bolt shaft collars? I need to use them to hold some bearings, and they have to be aluminum since they will be welded to some aluminum tubes. Yes, i could make some, but it seems like a waste of time if I can buy them anywhere.

Try McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com

They have lots of shaft collars, including some in aluminum.

I may be stating the obvious here, but you can only weld one half of a 2-bolt shaft collar if you ever want to release it in the future. Fabricated as such, it sometimes leads to poor results because it can get tweaked more easily during an overload.

Also watch the alloy, I have no idea what the aluminum collars are made of, but interestingly McMaster bills the 12L14 or whatever free machining steel is used for the 2-bolt steel collars as "alloy steel" :rolleyes: One of their few transgressions in my book, despite the free-machining material, they seem to weld reasonably & durably with special rods or just plain MiG.

-Matt

Adding: again, could be obvious, but I'd make all attempts to weld first and then machine the bearing bores later with a little undersized material to clean up any warpage or misalignment.

Halcohead is offline Stainless

Thanks y'all.

Yeah, I will try to weld first, machine later, however it will mean I'll have to use my buddy's 28" lathe, since the collars will be welded to 13" shafts. Edit: Oops... duh, I can indicate them in on a mill and use a boring head...

Only one side of the collars was going to be welded. No worries there.

ulav8r is offline Cast Iron

Be sure to weld the half that has clearance holes. If the threads become stripped, it will be easy to replace.