What's new
What's new

Schaublin 70

Thomas Green

Aluminum
The ad for the lathe below sounds interesting for the home hobbyest but in a picture I see that there is no transverse feed. Is this common? Should I avoid this for general home hobbyest work or consider it?? tnx

"Toolmaker's lathe, $2000.00 obo
This is a Japanese clone or an exact copy of a Swiss Schaublin 70 toolmaker's lathe.
5 1/2 diameter swing, 12" between centers.
Industrial high quality machine with 220 V, 3-phase motor.
Has an extra accessory: motor drive for milling, grinding and polishing.
3-jaw chuck
Tailstock chuck
21 each W12 type collets
Quick change toolpost with 4 tool holders"

for that kind of money you can get a number of interesting small lathes. Better to think through what you hope to make with it or your "typical" project.

Slightly bigger in size, but if that style lathe is useful to your purposes, Hardinge second op's are cheaper and arguably easier/more availability/cheaper to tool up.

OTOH, if you are going to do watch and clock work, the smaller lathe and collet system might work better for you.

smt

THANKS to both of you for the response... I think the usefulness is critical and with the little I have used a lathe, the longitudinal feed might be something I think I would like... so I will nix the unit....

The Hardinge second op without a tool post though also seems like a bad idea for the novice....

The search goes on! Tom

Back