What's new
What's new

How do I normalize a SS316 weldment?

swarf_rat

Titanium
I have tig welded up a narrow box section (boat part) out of 3/8 plate. In spite of my best efforts at controlling the distortion, it acquired a small amount of character in the welding. I would like to press it straight again, and normalizing seems like a good idea in any case before it is permanently bonded into the carbon part with Plexus.

How do I normalize it? Or should I just press it straight an forget the rest?

I have tig welded up a narrow box section (boat part) out of 3/8 plate. In spite of my best efforts at controlling the distortion, it acquired a small amount of character in the welding. I would like to press it straight again, and normalizing seems like a good idea in any case before it is permanently bonded into the carbon part with Plexus.

How do I normalize it? Or should I just press it straight an forget the rest?

Forget it and straighten it. 316 is an austenetic stainless. It will stress relief but you can expect no changes in properties by normalizing.

Straighten it out and forget it unless it's long and skinny and you're concerned with it pulling free of its embedment.

Forget it and straighten it. 316 is an austenetic stainless. It will stress relief but you can expect no changes in properties by normalizing.

Straighten it out and forget it unless it's long and skinny and you're concerned with it pulling free of its embedment.

Forrest,

I guess stress relief is what I was thinking. It is a steering head fixture that will be glued into the carbon tube rudderpost, and to which the steering gear tiller arm will be attached. It is 1.75 x 3.75 x 12 and imbeds about 7 inches. If not normalized, will it worm around as it stress relieves itself over time? We are leaving about 1/16 all around for the Plexus, about the minimum they recommend. The thing has about a .050 bow to it. By itself, that isn't going to cause problems, but it makes it hard to clamp to do all the machining I need to do to it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Forrest,

I guess stress relief is what I was thinking. It is a steering head fixture that will be glued into the carbon tube rudderpost, and to which the steering gear tiller arm will be attached. It is 1.75 x 3.75 x 12 and imbeds about 7 inches. If not normalized, will it worm around as it stress relieves itself over time? We are leaving about 1/16 all around for the Plexus, about the minimum they recommend. The thing has about a .050 bow to it. By itself, that isn't going to cause problems, but it makes it hard to clamp to do all the machining I need to do to it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back