What's new
What's new

Any Pratt Whitney lathe owners out there?

Cory

Cast Iron
I just purchased a Pratt Whitney 14x30 gear head lathe in running condition.I have to have it shipped from NH to VA so I cant wait to get it. Where I work we bought a 12x30 PW in poor cosmetic shape but 80 hours later is looks brand new.I hope to do the same with this lathe, I just hope it is in as good as shape as the 12x30.Any one else own an oldie and cleaned it up?I am also looking for the carraige stop, the orignal is missing.Thanks,cory

I have a model b 12x30 I love it it is in beautiful condition I have all the collets the steady and the traveling steady for it as well as the taper attachment i use it almost daily I have been trying to get my wife to post pictures but she is not very enthusiastic about it.

I have atop speed of 500 and a low of 18 I could change the motor to a 1750 rpm from the 1100 rpm one but I have been happy with it like it is. I have a hardinge if I need to do small stuff. The numbers denoting the size of this lathe are deceiving this machine is big and heavy and cuts metal like a beast.

I have a 12x30 model B. I don't have the steady rest or follow rest. I do have all the collets. It was salvaged from a vocational school, a little rough but it is a metal hogging machine. If anyone has a complete cross slide or compound i would like to hear from them. From what I understand the model C replaced the model B

Model B (mid twenties to mid forties) was a 8 speed geared head of non conventional design with gear train going out thru back wall of bed into separate clutch housing. It let P&W get its line of gear grinders down pat.

The Model C (mid to late thirties to seventies?)was a very conventional gear head with 18 speeds and precison class angular contact spindle bearings and Type D camlock spindle nose

(Yes, I know the 13" Model B became the 12" Model B with camlock spindle nose and ball bearing spindle - but it retained the eight speeds)

All the early Model B lathes (13/16/20) had plain spindle bearings and threaded spindle nose. The 20 was sixteen speed - I had a 20 X 48 for many years.

John

Yes,
This is a WW2 era version I believe.

It has been refitted with timken bearings because
replacement spindle bearings are not avalible from what I understand.

pwlathe11.jpg

This machine has 12 x 54 cast on but it will swing nearly 20 inches at the headstock.

Machinery was under rated in days gone by.
This is a fine piece of machinery.

Kap

I am in search of the orignal carriage stop to go with my new old PW 14x30 lathe. Anyone know where one is hiding in the world?For sale?

Different companies :D P&WA is in East Hartford. The machine tool out fit was in downtown Hartford (Captitol Ave.) until '39 when it moved to West Hartford. A Home Depot Plaza is there now.

I sold my 12 X 30 Model C for $1500.

John

I think the later ones like Johnny's went to D1-6" on the spindle nose. The earlier 12" ones (even my 1950 job) had D1-5" spindle noses.

John

I have one like Johnny's. Great machine for most work but the 12x30 are limited by bed length of course.
By the time you put on a DRO, the tailstock has to be moved back more than I like and as typical with machines of this era the hole thru the spindle is small.
I use mine all the time. I have several faceplates,
three and four jaw chucks, 22J and 5C collet closers. follow and steady rests.

I have a Model B 12x30 with a D1-5 spindle nose and angular contact ball bearing spindle, which was bent when I acquired it.
I have it stripped down, and have straightened the spindle and bought a high precision Timken taper roller to replace the front New Departure bearing, whose raceway is greyed up presumably from running with a bent spindle.
(I priced replacement ND bearings, which were still available !!! but each bearing cost more than the $1500 I paid for the lathe)

I'm concentrating at present on rebuilding a smaller precision lathe so I can make some needed parts for the Pratt & Whitney.

The single tooth clutches are in a bad way, presumably from being engaged at too high a speed. I'm unsure whether to restore them or improve them. Much as I would like to do a loving restoration, I will realistically be using this mainly for hogging off metal, so I'm trying to keep my "better instincts" in check and focus on what I plan to build, rather than putting all my energies into tools.
As for the lathe, its beauty lies mnainly beneath the surface: many of the details are a delight, considering how long ago they were designed.

Back