What's new

Area Code 186 ???

• Thread starter jfsmith
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 43,167
J

jfsmith

Yesterday, somebody called and my caller ID said that they were calling from area code 186.
They were asking a lot of questions about my shop and all the people who work for me.

I worked for many years in the telecomm trade and telephony. Area codes start at 200. My local carrier says they can't make long distance phone calls to verify anything.

The whole phone number is 186 666-0694, if anyone wants to try finding out who this is. I did google the number and got no results.

Jerry

This is why I am wondering about the phone call and where it came from.

I can not reference the number either.

Jerry

If they have their own system, they can put anything in the caller ID string they want. Most large companies have that ability. That's why many calls come up unknown. They just haven't put in the CID string.

If they were asking questions, it's either a information gathering company, collection agency or telemarketer research group.

Never answer questions over the phone unless you know who you are talking to!

Caller ID has become worthless for security purposes, the latest is collection agencies and "phishers" finding the listing for your mom or your bank, and making it look like the call came from them.

I thought of that also. 666 is 18 and that is number of the devil.

Jerry

Jerry.

Any chance the call came from over sea’s?

The ISD country code for China is 86

The region code for Beijing is 10.

Don’t you normally drop the zero off the region code when dialing ISD.

Therefore making it 186?

Long shot.

Regards Phil.

Back