What's new

Digi vs Dial Calipers

• Thread starter C9
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 8,399

C9

Aluminum
A lot of folks seem to like digi-calipers, but they seem to have their flaws and potential weaknesses.
As do dial-calipers, but they seem a little more rugged to me.

Aside from the quick read-out capability of the digi-calipers are there any other qualities they have that a dial-caliper doesn't?

I've been tempted by the digi-calipers, but I like my dial-calipers just fine and they do what I need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a side question, what is the advantage - if any - of the dial-calipers with the 0-.050 - 0 .050 in one revolution of the dial.

Besides driving you crazy.

My dad picked up one of these for me, a Mitutoyo if I remember right and when we realized the potential for error, he swapped it out for the standard 0-.100 calipers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Along these same lines, do a lot of you folks use outside and inside calipers when turning/boring on the lathe?

I use them to get close and then start using caliper or micrometer.

And if I'm just knocking something down to a general/convenient size I use calipers.
They seem to be pretty accurate as far as sizing multiple pieces go.

Digital calipers are preferred when there are
flying fine chips around, too easy to get a chip
in the teeth\gear mechanism and skip or damage
a tooth. On the other hand the digital types
miss read when they get wet, so when constantly
handling with wet coolant soaked hands, dial
type are best, just my opinion.

I like the ability to look through some stock and do a quick read with the digital.

I also like the quick inch/metric button. Great for conversions.

For OD/ID lathe work I use a micrometer/snap gage.

JRouche

quick read with the digital.
Is it really that much quicker to look at a digital caliper reading than it is to read a dial caliper?
I've used the digital type only a few times and didn't think much of them,,,seemed like you were always wanting to double or triple check the calipers zero/closed point or checking against a dowell pin or something.I check my dial calipers at least once a day but I don't feel the need to do it everytime I take a measurement.Perhaps I just wasn't used to the digitals & hadn't built that "trust" in using them.

"I just wasn't used to the digitals & hadn't built that "trust" in using them."

I here ya. I was the same way, always bringing them back down to jaws closed checking them. They have never "slipped" that I have seen. I actually tried to make them slip or miss by being abusive. I grabbed it with both hands, one on each section and progressed to racking it back and forth as fast as I could but not crashing it opened or closed. Did this for many cycles then checked the physical location against the digital readout without zeroing her out and it was still on, no slippage. JRouche

This may seem kinda silly, but as a designer I sit at a desk and a lot of times I grab my caliper and slide it to size to get a visual for a specific dimension I'm thinking of. I find it real annoying how the readout of an electronic "lags" the movement of the jaw. Takes 2X or 3X the time to set it to a specific dim vs a dial that spins right up or down to a specific value.

Some people just gotta have elec/digital. But the fact of this "lag", the need for batteries, why bother. And Yes, the constant need to check zero. Its dial all the way for me baby.

However, as pointed out, if you frequently go back and forth between inch and metric, I can see the attraction for electronic. But I always have a calculator at my side, and 25.4 in the brain, and I'm OK.

I vote dial.

What I don't like about the digital, is the way the numbers just kinda flash back and forth when you move the caliper. What I mean is, when you rock back and forth with the caliper trying to "feel" when your flat on the faces of what you're checking. It's real easy to see when you hit that "sweade" spot as a dial is slowly rocking back and forth, but forget it on a digital. It's just flashing numbers until you hold it real steady.

Not sure if I'm describing this accurately but ya know what I mean?

I find it real annoying how the readout of an electronic "lags" the movement of the jaw. Takes 2X or 3X the time to set it to a specific dim vs a dial that spins right up or down to a specific value."

this topic just won't go away! been rubbed
waaayyy into the ground.

anyway, i don't know what digitals were lagging
(starett?) but an mti made in the last 10 yrs
surely wasn't the culpret. my next will be the
mti armored model(coolant proof)

I have three dial, two Starrett and a Myto and have never had a desire for digital. But then again I like travadial better than dro and don't like digital on my dash either.
Michael

I've preferred digital since I bought a pair of Fowler (Sylvac) Swiss Made calipers in about 1990. They were very accurate (still are) but admittedly were sensitive to oil or coolant. They would suddenly show something like 54.628" on the display when the scale got dirty. The error was always huge and obvious and I was never was fooled into into scrapping a part, but it was a little unsettling none the less. I now have Mitutoyo #500-672s that are IP 66 rated and they are fantastic! I have picked these up with coolant dripping off of my hands and never once a problem. They also have some that are IP 67 rated. Those could probably be used by scuba divers if my IP 66s are any indication.

The reasons I like digitals are:

1. You can set zero anywhere you want. I do this all the time for measuring the depth of drilled holes with a gage pin. I just put the pin lengthwise between the external jaws and set zero, then slide the pin to the bottom of the hole. Use the step measuring feature to measure the distance from the part surface to the tip of the pin. The display will directly read the depth of the hole.

2. They don't have a rack for debris to get into.

3. Pushbutton inch/metric conversion.

I have to admit, they lack a certain something that precision mechanical instruments have, but for day to day use I prefer them.

Just one person's thoughts.
Mike

I have both the Starrett 721 (before the current model) and a Mitutoyo Digimatic. There is no comparison. The build quality and performance of the Mitutoyo blow away the Starrett. The Starrett has the lag so that if you pause for a second in motion, the display stops updating until shortly AFTER you move again. Real PITA !

I use the Mits day in and day out, for metric and inch and relative measurements. The battery life is also superb, lasting a year plus on a tiny button cell vs 2 large coin cells for Starrett.

I always turn to a mic to fit anything critical below 0.001"

Den

Dial Calipers - every time. They incoroprate the feel of measurement - as noted - the rocking. When trained and practiced, you can read them as fast as digitals.

One note - Dial / digital. Always check calibration on calipers using a gauge pin, not by "checking zero". It is not measurintg "zero inches" that makes a measuring tool accoyare, it is the measurement of actual items. Especially with calipers.

Spope14: I have to admit I've turned to B&S dial calipers recently but only out of curiosity to see if I could resolve tenths. They do appear to be quite readable and smooth. Good digitals also respond to "rocking in" the measurement. The 0.0005" place toggles smoothly and in sync with the motion on the Mitutoyos ... wouldn't use them otherwise.

In some fields, lack of metric is a definite killer however, as is relative measurement where you can zero on one feature and read another.

Digitals do inch or metric with a button push.
Dial calipers don't need the button push...... just read the other pointer.... if you have a set of duals...

Dials I far prefer.

Sure digitals have lots of gee charlie whiz-bang stuff, but when they are lying, they keep a straight face very well.

Dial calipers that are lying just can't help showing it one way or another.

And, I respond far better to the readout on the dials..... OK, I need 30 off diameter, so thats 15 on the crossfeed.... that instant reaction seems much easier with dials.

Digit all the way, MT brand, they are the nicest tool MT makes in my opinion, none of mine "lag"

dials get junk in them, and the rack wears more in the first inch than the rest of the rack..

dials may be fine if you work in an office.

I never make any effort to shut them off when not in use and batteries last 6 months or more.

Bill

I started with vernier calipers over 50 years ago, then dial, then digital (Mitutoyo). I like digital, the others sit in my box. I especially like when I can zero at my target dimension, then measure the part telling me how far I need to go. Saves a lot of math and one potential source of error. Also as some others said, the inch/mm switch is just plain great.

Not a put down anyones opinion but I find it odd that some machinists dont trust diggy calipers.

I am curious how they feel about CNC machines. Also, the entire realm of electronics we use every day. Do you use a calculator to balance your checkbook, what-if it's off. How bout the digital scale yer butcher uses to weigh out your filet mignon :D

Seems the entire world we live in relies on remote sensing or digital measuring. How bout the digital circuits controlling the busy intersection, are we gonna get two green lights in opposite directions.

Guess it is a matter of trust. If I trust my life many times a day with other digital/mechanical systems a digital scale seems easy. JRouche

Oh yeah, my car has a digital throttle, fly by wire, and I hate it :confused:

Back