What's new
What's new

Electric chain hoist question

GregSY

Diamond
Does anyone know much about these?

I have a Wright Way 2 ton electric chain hoist I bought at a city auction.

I'm testing it out and it works fine; but when the hook gets about 10 inches from the bottom of the hoist, it stops going up. You can lower it from there no problem, but it won't go any higher. I assume it stops on purpose to keep you from hitting the bottom of the hoist, but how is it knowing when to stop? I don't see any limit switches or other means; it's almost like the hoist is counting links or soemthing???

Some hoists use a screw with a nut on it. As the hoist moves the screw spins, the nut runs across the thread and hits a micro switch. Some of these hoists have a bottom limit as well as a top limit.

Tom

Greg, not sure if this helps but the classic method I've seen for air and electric hoists is some sort of a round flat plate with a "+" shaped thru-hole in the middle, spring under that, just on top of the chain hook.

The flat collar engages some sort of limit switch or in the air hoist version, engages the "reverse" solenoid by way of the collar striking the rocker arm.

Is there a wiring diagram inside the cover? Possibly look at the main contactor and see if anything is in series with the coil other than the pushbuttons.

-Matt

Back