What's new
What's new

OT- Seller's who won't give their phone number ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I've looked at a couple of used outboard motor ads of interest to me, one on eBay and one in a magazine...where both folks ignore my requests for their phone number. I want their phone number so I can ask more questions without so much typing, but also just to get a feel for who I'm dealing with.

I'm pretty sure now the eBay guy is pulling a scam, so makes sense on that one...but the other guy seems ok so far. Just wondering what possible "legimate" reasons there might be for someone selling a $3,500 and up item to not give out their phone number when it's crystal clear the interested buyer is dead serious about buying and the buyer gives his phone number, website, contact info ? :confused:

just give them yours, and ask to be called between ?:?? and ?:??

-just an idea. maybe they are paranoid due to having been relentlessly nagged inn the past and wont go through it again.

I do quite a bit of eBay sales. I use e-mail, and do not give my phone number for a couple of reasons.

I don't like giving personal information out, as I already am on enough lists, and have no idea if the person is legit or not. But, more to the point, I am on line quite a bit, and often away when not, and it is easier and faster for me to correspond via e-mail than phone. I will get & answer e-mail, while I may play phone tag for days before connecting with a customer.

uh, ds, I said "buyer gives his phone number" in my post. Also I told both to call anytime, day or night....they didn't, emailed instead.

PT, in my case I gave enough info about myself it was crystal clear I was legit. I prefer email for most sales related transactions as well, but if someone requests my phone number or gives me theirs and request verbal contact, I do it gladly.

On ebay, I suspect it is the old "more questions = less bidding" So why burn long distance and call some guy. Figures it is Probably some old codger who is hoping to talk for an hour to someone so he doesnt have to talk the the ol' lady.

Of course the above holds true with $30 dollar items. When you are talking hundreds or thousands it would be a different story.

that is annoying to me also. I give out my number in all my listings just to advoid giving the impression that I am hiding something but clearly state that I prefer email for many reasons. One I am hard of hearing, second there are some people out there who will call repeatly with a caller resricted limit, but not leave a message then complain that I don't respond in 2 hours! I can't tell you how often that happens and I am famous for returning calls.

it's crystal clear the interested buyer is dead serious about buying
That could only be true if said buyer wanted directions to the location where the item could be inspected. All the talk in the world will not reveal a seller that is out to scam you. Are you really gona pay for a expensive outboard before you see it? and if you do, are you willing to have it shipped to you by someone (boat owner or widow of)who has no idea how to package it?

ds, I know exactly what you are saying, so that when I say "crystal clear" I mean crystal clear. Someone saying "I'll take it" before they even know all the details, for example, is a red flag they are likely FOS, and therefore not "crystal clear"

In this case I outlined my Florida trip schedule, showed my website so he knows I'm not just a dreamer with no money, and have never said "I'll take it" but just given him enough info to know I'm serious as a heart attack if the motor is as he says it is.

I would question the condition of an outboard engine if I was standing there looking at. Please don't buy one without checking the compression. One or more low cylinders happen too often and can be caused from improper oil mix or metering. If the compression is down who knows what shape the crank is in.
Ebay gets a lot of hits on boat stuff. I looked a a boat the other day that had over 5200 hits. That will bring out a lot of crazies!
I have always given home ph and cell ph to ebay buyers, I try to be as up front as possible. Also if you get a phone # you can go to www.anywho.com and do a reverse look up to get more info on someone.

What about using the prepaid cell phones?
They can be bought without telling anyone who you are, and when you dont want to be bothered, the OFF switch works.

Funny story...this morning I was looking at a local real estate magazine thinking about calling my old agent to ask the price on some property.

But first I call our local boat dealer just for the heck of it, to ask if by some miracle they have any used 200-250 horse outboards. (had called them months earlier and they had nothing)

So the marine saleman comes to the phone and the voice sounds strangely familiar. It turns out, it's my old real estate agent..the very one I was just about to call about real estate !!

What happened ?? "yeah, I finally quit that game...got burned out...blah, blah.." :D

(and they do have an 87 Evinrude 200 HP for 800 bucks, but supect it's too decrepit
)

Back