What's new
What's new

A little belt sander advice

Wild West

Hot Rolled
I have to dress up the aluminum castings for my product a bit. I have always had the problem of the belt loading up after a short while. When purchasing some belts locally I told the guy my problem and he told me to get some Pam, you know, the stuff you spray on skillets. Well I got some, sprayed a little on the belt while it was running and it worked like a charm and it cut better as well.

Just thought some of you would like to know.

Jim
www.pivotlok.com

I use pam as a release agent on various stuff. It is great stuff. It is important to note that not all the formulations are the same. The key ingrediant here is the soy lecithin. Pam original also has some grain alcohal in it that helps it get an even coat and dry rapidly. The barbique grill formula isn't worth a damn as a release agent... might work good on the grill though? never tried it. You can get pure soy lecithin through mcmaster or grainger, but Pam is pretty decent and widely available.

B

i do a little porting on eaton blowers
use a lot of 3m sanding drums in al.
i coat them first with with al. tapmagic
works very well with almost no loading

We sand crap loads of aluminum at work. In a pinch we use CRC powerlube. But the good stuff is a grease stick. I don't remember the name of the stuff but it works like magic. Vastly improves your metal removal rate. Belt composition can make a difference too. I will look on Monday and see what it is and where we get it. It is worth getting.

Bees wax will work in a pinch also.

ARB

Those crepe rubber blocks don't work to remove al from the belts. Best bet is to prevent the buildup; I'll second the vote for Pam cooking spray.

pam kool ill have to try it!if u get to much tap magic in the sand paper and spin it up well u know the rest of the story heheh
but i know 1 wood worker that cleans his belts with a nylon comb just grinds it in and a lot of the wood comes out of the belt?

Back