What's new
What's new

hydraulic cylinder packing

freddycougar

Aluminum
i want to construct a ram with a 1.25 bore, do i need to go to a cylinder packing or will a good o ring be sufficent? it is a bandsaw blade tensioning cylinder.. typical tension 2000..3000 pounds of force . so aprox the same psi

I'm not an expert but I think agood o-ring would work. Or better yet, buy a seal and seal/piston made specifically for hydraulic cylinders. They're not too expensive and you'd be sure of good results.

I dont know what the tension would convert to in psi but I have built hyd. cylinders that operated at 5,000 psi with only O-rings. But it had very smooth finishes and close fits and was used in a very clean place. In your situation the slightest leak will lose tension. I would use rope packing and add a wiper to the packing nut.

Can you use the ram off a hyd. jack?
I just built a bandsaw mill and used one to tension the 158" blade.

P.O.

thanks for the replys.. 1.25 bore is .98 sq inch so pressure read force.. i am going to use micro hone hyd tubing good honed finish.. i realise an o.ring/backup will work just not sure how long..was going to use a porta-power jack but it is easer to build one.(cheaper)ha..thanks for your opinions

Use a polyurethane U cup seal with an integral expander. Use the same type seal as the rod seal, and use a canned wiper on the rod to protect the seal. O-rings will work, but poly u-cups will work on surfaces where o-rings wouldn't stand a chance. You're looking at maybe 15 bucks max for the u-cups and wiper.

baumhydraulics.com at Omaha sells seals and stuff by dimension and picture. Achieving the polish in the barrel will be tough. A seal of different material would be way more forgiving than an O ring.

thanks for the suggestions.. found a d ring.. cat product, looks like it might be usable.. btw the tubing for the barel is already honed.. it is .250 wall and is fairly expensive,, like 25.00 per foot,

as this project is a learning experence... i dont mind doing things twice or more...to get it right........
thanks again
freddy

with tubing at 25 bucks a foot i would go find a cylinder from a place like burgess surplus center or such, probably get a whole cylinder for 50 bucks and be done with it

hi all ... i did the local hyd repair shop... as i only nee about 6 inch piece of barrel.. they buy only for the job... no luck.. i live 300 miles from any city so i must be resourcefull thanks i think i will send for some seal kits
freddy

Back