What's new
What's new

Overseas Discontent with Manufacturing

FarmallMan

Hot Rolled
I came across this article while looking for some info on ironing processes of all things. I typically don't post this kind of thing, but I really do think it's worthwhile to read and think about. The line which resonated in particular was "Shut up, stupid American".

<edit> Take it for what its worth folks.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31049

Nick :cool:

[ 07-06-2006, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: FarmallMan ]

Gee, I wonder what he would be making if we didn't buy all of his crap??? I guess it would be better to sit around and chant stupid slogans (and starve to death) than make money making "crap" for us pigs.

China's growing disillusionment with producing needless crap for fat-ass foreigners."
I guess it's back to the green plastic army man factory for him!
-Mike

I sent an email:" The stuff some stupid Americans buy enables stupid Chinee Bastid to eat"

Sumbitch apparently not qualified for anything else.

Guess he needs a Mydol!

RANT ON

I really have to chime in here. The author writes as if he is almost "holier than thou", yet does not give a name. The onion does have a slant towards writing inflamatory stories anyway, but then again, anyway to make a buck and get more readers/viewers (which translates into making a buck).

First things first. A man making $21.000 a week, working in a factory since 1996 why isn't the onion crying to the heavens about this about this? Women locked into a factory? Where is their outrage???????!!!!!!!!!

Why are they almost championing the low wages working conditions, and the factories method of operation all the while ignoring this and instead putting the slant on the things they make to sell for the owners who are raking in millions of dollars to produce these items? US companies often subcontract to smaller ChiCom companies, run by ChiCom executives, owners, and provience officials. The companies bid for the product from US or European companies. They get the bucks for the bids, then they pay $21.00 and lock the women into factories.

Are US companies not a bit to blame, yes, but who in the end pays these people and locks them into factories, sets up an environment for safety issues, basic slave worker conditions, and environmental safety issues. Who set up an economy that has a high reliance on making this "useless s%$# to keep it afloat" and has made it easy to undercut the American and European worker and company to make this stuff.

AND WHO is it that has an economy that keeps its people from getting the pay, the free time, and the OPPORTUNITY to enjoy things like toys, cup holders in cars, and salad shooters?

In the US we even pay our ILLEGALS better than the Chinese pay their CITIZENS!!!!!!! Heck we even give our ILLEGALS more rights and protection that the Chinese gives their general population (several billion).

Man, I suggest this writer give up all of his useless stuff like salad shooters, optical mouse, computers with the latest technology and totally unobstructed and non censored internet access. I suggest the writer go over and join in the Chinese movement to stop making all this stuff, start a protest. This being that only Americans and europeans and other countries that can afford to buy this stuff are allowed to make this stuff with their own workforce.

Kumbayah brother, Kumbayah. Put it back where it came from make them provide the jobs. Reality check here, the writer would be put in a ChiCom prison for starting the protest, would probably be at quite a loss when he could not post stories, and would probably miss his/her CD's and Ipod.

But back to my original question, where is the outrage for the low pay and the working conditions documented in the article.

Rant off, I don't get this way that often.

Oh, come on you guys, The ONION is for FUN!!! Please tell me you can still laugh at our foibles and get your leg pulled without coming up ready to fight.

I thought he was making the point that we are somewhat responsible for the situation by buying garbage from people who think we are fools to buy the garbage. I would have no idea how the Chinese feel about making plastic crap for us unless he wrote the article. I am glad to hear it, though. Maybe they will start charging us a stupid item tax. We are wasteful, we do seem to enjoy it and think of ourselves as being rightious for being that way. How many drawers in our kitchens and cabinets in our kitchens (not to mention landfills) are full of items we never used once? Well, we are the powerful and we therefore have the right to waste resources and engender a throw away society, right? SO who do we blame for emphasis on low quality, ultra cheap appliances? Wal-mart? I dunno, but if you look at the price of a toaster from the 1950's or 1960's they cost about $22.00 in 1950's money. Today they cost $22.00 in 2006 money. I have a 1950's toaster that still works, its 50+ years old, and has never failed to work. If I bought a toaster today, I know that it would not work in 10 years.
You can buy well made stuff these days at Williams and Sanoma, but it is viewed as a place for wealthy people to buy kitchen gadgets. You can buy a $300.00 Kitchen aid mixer, now that seems to be the inflation adjusted equal to the 1950's prices. They are assembled in greenville Ohio, that probably means they put the stickers on the machine, but at least something is done here.

Oh well, my side of the rant.

Good grief...you guys are just now seeing that hilareous lampoon ? It was written over a year ago.

The whole thing is made up...get a grip !

Sheesh, good thing I put a warning when I posted the HaHaHa America video over in the manufacturing forum...

Hey guys,

I hope you all realize that the onion is just a funny joke newspaper. If you believed that story would you believe this from the onion Jesus converts to Islam On the other hand the onion has really ran some funny stories www.theonion.com, one funny one was a story of a robot complaining about having his job outsourced to less expensive chineese robots!!

Adam

My wife and I have decided we are going to stop making fun of people who buy stupid crap and instead spend our time figuring out what we can sell to them.

Steve.

The onion is satire, it is a comedy paper. This post does bring out the fact that many people just barge on in and rant without even checking things out first.

I really don't think that the average worker gives a rhat's azz what he is making or who buys it.

I responded only in the vain hope of pushing someone's button, alas, apparently no success.

Now, this article makes more sense:
CLINTON

Back