What's new
What's new

Got a new lathe and having problems

grinch

Cast Iron
got a clark 14x40 same as the jets and grizzly's it's a gear head lethe.

I got the power hooked up and the motor is running and the pulles are turning but seemd no matter what setting I have the gears in the spindle will not turn. I've read the manual and cant find anything that ansewers why.

Any ideas??

Thanks
Grinch

Is this new, or used? What is the history?

While motor is not energised, turn the chuck by hand and try changing speed. You may find one of the speed selectors was not fully engaged.

If that does not do it and it is new call the company. If it is used, remove the lid and see what is happening.

Check the levers first. If its not that then check the keys or shear pins or set screws in the pulleys and gears. Not too long after I had bought my 14x40 I turned it on, heard the motor but nothing else happened. Turned out the setscrews in the pulley that is on the motor were loose. Easy fix. There's really not much to these machines, I opened mine 2 or 3 weeks ago. Also had the whole carriage apart last year.

I know nothing of the lathe, if it has a clutch or not...but is the clutch engaging? (could be simple linkage problems where the lever motion is not being transferred)

Probably the single-best thing to do is to "pop the top" on the headstock and see for yourself what's going on inside.

I agree with the point that removing the belts from the motor and turning the input sheave by hand is the safest way to go about this. You'll see what's going on and you can stick hands and flashights, mirrors etc inside without fear of damage.

Sorry should have mentioned it is brand new. I've played with changing all the gears around and all are engaged and the spindle will spin by hand no problem.

no back gearon this one and if there is a clutch its not obvious.

How does the foot break work?? after you step on it is there anything you have to do to reset it??

Thanks
Grinch

On my gear head (an old Cinci Traytop, so quite a different machine!
) It is sometimes possible to have the lever in what looks like the right place, but not actually have the gear engaged. I found this out the hard way -- I thought my lathe suddenly quit working after putting all sorts of hard work into getting it running ... took off the cover and checked out the clutch, etc. ... finally realized I just didn't have it in gear!

Nice lookin lathe, I like. JRouche

You read this part?

"Stepping on the foot brake while the spindle is
ON will kill the power to the spindle control lever
and will bring the spindle to a stop. Stopping the
spindle in this manner is harder on the machine
and should be reserved for panic situations. Once
stopped, the control lever will then need to be
returned to the neutral position. The power light
will show the lathe is energized. Only the circuit to the spindle control lever has been interrupted."

It looks like a hand clutch/brake lever on the machine in the pic on the right side bottom of the carrage. Are you lifting this up to engage the clutch? Should be up to engage, down to disengage and work the brake.

Grinch, rotate the spindle by hand while positioning (actually, feeling) the spindle speed select levers. I suspect that one of them is not engaged but is sitting, possible in a neutral notch, unengaged. A quick look at the .pdf for that lathe shows no unusual disengagements so if the belts are moving, the spindle's gotta turn. Den

got it guys thank you for the help. You were right one of the levers were not engaged and once it was it took right off.

I'm getting this machine after owning a south bend for 5yrs I'm wondering if I will be happy with it I hope I didn't make a mistake.

I did get it for 5k out the door with a NICE DRO

Grinch,

Something you might consider...

If I’m not mistaken those lathes have a ball bearing detent for each gear position... but they are not so easy to "feel" when they are fully engaged. Next time you have the top off the gearbox go thru the gear changes and put a thin line to use as a witness mark on the shift lever when you see that the gears are in full contact. From then on when you shift just make sure that the witness mark lines up and you'll be confident that the gear is fully engaged and not riding on the gears edge. This just might save you a gear replacement if you are making a heavy cut.

Back