What's new
What's new

OT: Things to see and do in Branson

Gordo

Hot Rolled
This is way of topic but who better to ask then you guys about things that would be of interest to a machine type guy going to Branson at the end of March. Any body live down there and know of some interesting places? Thanks in advance.
Gordo :D

If you take Missouri 76 west from Missouri 65 it will take you right through Branson and several choices are available for lodging/eating/shows also by going to www.bransonmissori.com a good overall view is also given along with being able to purchase tickets.

At work we have a Branson ultrasonic cleaner. I put everything in that thing to get stuff clean. You should see it. I clean grungy parts, precicion parts, my saftey glasses, even my welding beanie. --Doozer

Hi! I am the "better half" of Mike that just posted re: Branson. We had some "words" regarding what he might suggest to you, since you both are "mechanical/machine" types. Please forgive me for butting in this time, but I feel he didn't give you a very good "heads up". Directions to the city? Great! Where to stay? It's a matter of choice. There are probably 100- 200 different motels to stay in, inbetween restaurants....sit down and fast types. There are an equal amount of miniature golf and go carts , too, not just for the kids, either. There is an indoor water park, and several outdoor types that probably run just in the summer. There is a helicopter ride over the lake, Mike thinks there may be a tour of the dam (call ahead), an amphibian floating tour (ride the "Ducks"...post WWII amphibian landing craft. There is a trout hatchery (very interesting), a train ride (dinner is an option), a paddle boat dinner tour (steam boat?), and TONS AND TONS of shows. They're not cheap....good shows go for about $50 & up, but they're great. Some shows have "specials" and off season pricing. Back in Springfield, you might want to tour some caverns (Fantastic Caverns has a tram ride....no walking)and there is Talking Rocks near Branson, and then there are also two amusement parks. One is EXCLUSIVE to the evening, with a cavern underneath. Also there is a Christian amphitheater with live plays, located on top of a mountain. Always, there is shoping (a sport for many) and just driving thru MO & Arkansas. That's some of the most beautiful country around. Sorry I was such a hog here, but I couldn't just let you think Branson/Springfield and the surrounding area had nothing for the visitor. Follow the advice to go to Bass Pro Shops, too. It's a unique experience and the Museum next to it. Equally unique. Thanks for listening, guys... Kathy

http://www.rfostermuseum.com/

The Ralph Foster Museum is interesting in that it has old tools and firearms, amoung other things.

If you are into fishing there is lake Taneycomo. It is a cold tailwater fishery from one of the dams. The trout fishing in the upper part can be excellent. A new state record brown trout of 27 lb 10 oz was caught there in October ( on 4 lb test line, on a fly). There are larger fish in there, possibly a new world record. The current w0orld record brown was caught from the same system- but several dams downstream and in AR.

If you flyfish - or want to learn- send me an E mail as I know of an excellent guide- who loves to teach what he knows.

Branson MO? Nothing there but a passing river of old people and RV's and the means to gently fleese them.

Think of a North Temperate Waikiki with cellulite

While in Branson, go to Silver Dollar City to see a shingle saw driven by a steam engine, a duplicating lathe run by another steam engine, and a lineshaft driven woodworking shop. I'm not sure of the price of a ticket to get in. Maybe $30-$40.

Eric

The Grizzly show room and warehouse in Springfield is huge. You could spend all day there. It's located at 1815 W. Battlefield

When you're leaving Branson if you want to do some sight seeing drive south through the Ozark National Forest. You can drive for miles and miles and never see another vehicle. We saw a herd of about 60 elk beside the road. Lots of deer and other animals. Watch out for the deer, a large buck about 12 point ran out in front of us.

Back