What's new

rotary table size for 9 x 42 vertical mill

• Thread starter heyvan
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 3,256
H

heyvan

What would be a good usable size be for my home use? I have a Lagun VT-1 and a 12 inch logan lathe. I work on items from about a 1/4 inch to 6 inches. Thanks for your advise.
Harry

The largest that your back and/or wallet can stand. You will need room for set-up and clamping. If you go small, there will be a time that you wished you'd gone larger. I have a 10" Palmgren on my small Rockwell mill. Its perfect for me, cant imagine going smaller.

I have a mid sz mill, 7 x 27 table, and a 9" and 10" rotary table. I've been to the point where any smaller and I'm compromised. I'd say 12" rot table for a 9x42 would be the way to go...if you can move it on and off the mill table.

I bet a 10" would do 95% of your work. The need for setup room is not apparent until you go to actually set it up, the night before you need to have it done. Who coined the quote, "bigger is better"?

Have to agree with the crowd.....Bought a 6" H/V RT when I had my Rockwell mill, thinking it would be OK.....BIG mistake!....First time I used it I saw it was way too small.....Now that I have a Bpt the RT looks miniscule sitting on it.....

Now shopping for a 10" minimum, larger if the weight doesn't get out of hand.....Now that I'm "old" everything seems heavier than it used to be.....Must be something with gravity increasing or flouridated water.....

Get the biggest you can afford and handle, you won't be sorry.....

Jim

Sometimes I may seem a it snootsy what with the Van Norman and Cincinnati and all.

But

I'll have to give Bridgeport a lot of credt.

Their's is a rather big rotary table and even at the tender age of 59.478976. I can still hump one around with ease.

I like the handles.

If I had a 9 X 42 mill like a B'port, that rotary table would get my vote every time.

No, they aren't a Moore or a SIP, but I've milled my share of arcs and circes with them and I have no complaint.

I am surprised that I don't see much mention of the B'port table on this Board. Mine is the first mention of it in this thread.

Am I missing something?

JimK,

I've got a 15" BP rotary table. Just the right size. I have taken it apart to try and find out why it weighs more now than it did 15 years ago. I think my Kurt vise is gaining weight also. Come to think of it, everything weighs more.

JR

I have a 15" rotary table for my BP clone. When I was 40 it was a big effort for me to lift it on the table. Tokk everythign I had.

Now that I'm 63 it's no effort at all for me to leave it on its stand.

12" is a nice size for 6" work. It gives you room for clamps and set-up components and spuds and stuff.

"Come to think of it, everything weighs more."

I've noticed this too. Must be something to do with global warming - Earth's Gravitational field is increasing! Obviously, this is the fault of the United States.

I have a 12" H-V Troyke on my bridgeport and it is a very useful size. Only problem is I have to get my neighbor boy to help me lift it on and off.

With my 15" BP Rotary Table under the left head and the 688 Kurt under the right head and the 60" table, on my Tru-Trace Bridgeport, I find that IF it becomes necessary to removing either one, I borrow my neighbor's engine lift. Things are heavy here in OH also.

I'm in the 12" camp. That's is what I use. Not that you should, but it's not a bad combination.

[This message has been edited by gvasale (edited 05-25-2004).]

Back