What's new
What's new

Has anyone noticed?....

Evan

Titanium
I rarely see anyone ask a "How do you do this" question on this board. I mean, how do you make this part, how do you use this tool, what is the proper feed and speed...

Why is that?

For me, it's because it seems that I have been doing nothing but cleaning and fixing broken tools, breaking other tools in the process. I seem to be pretty skilled in both, and maybe a master at the latter. It's not because I don't know how to use them properly, they just seem to fall apart as soon as I touch them. Almost everything I own I bought used, and I could afford at least half of them only because they needed fixing in the first place.

Yesterday I was working on a project and it was one of those days when everything I touched seemed to go to s$%t one by one. I kept resorting to backup tools, then the next tier of backups, etc. I was getting ready to post every damned machine shop tool I own for sale, or give them to Ryan, just so I wouldn't have to look at them again. I've touched all of them though, so the curse might pass to the next owner.

I really should have spent more time years ago learning to meditate correctly.

Sorry for the venting. I would like to move past this and on to something new and interesting that I could use advice on from this forum. Time will tell.

p.s. Sounds like I am trying to blame it on my tools, but I am just frustrated at myself. I heard a couple bits yesterday that I thought apply to me pretty well:

My mind is like a steel whatchamacallit
and
Ya ever stop to think, and then forget to start back up again?

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 05-23-2004).]

Depends on your definition of 'rare' and I suspect what catches your eye based on what you personally are interested in.

Just looking on this page alone I see -How do you use this vise, how does this work (re Armstrong tool holder for shapers), modeling metal objects in wood questions, how to do die casting, discussion of climb milling, tool taper types questions, questions of speed and feed rates for slotting 304 stainless, question about welder duty cycles, shrink fitting on valve seats, what does cherry milling involve...

Evan,

I ask such questions all the time, but usually sorta wince when I hit the 'submit' key. The same reason that brings me here makes me not want to ask too many newbie-style questions - that is, this board seems to have a lot of experienced career machinists on it who probably get tired of reading umpteen-million HSM type questions from rookies. Not that no one wants to help us rookies, but the same questions covering the basics can get asked ad infinitum, you know.

I might be wrong about this next part, but I have a memory tucked away of reading where the guy who runs the joint had hoped PM would be a hangout for the full-time crowd, perhaps not so much for home shop machinists. Not that HSM's would be run out, obviously, but that the website is angling more in the direction of full time job shops and the issues surrounding production work.

I like that, even if not true. Most of my own posts are probably more suited to the Chaski board, but I never got used to their format and the volume swamped everything I tried to talk about. I like the crowd here and the relaxed pace. There might not be as much 'action', but whenever you ask something there are usually a half-dozen thoughtful replies within a day or two, and you don't lose yer mind trying to find the thread three pages down by the time it peters out!

I would not hesitate to answer a question that has been asked a million times before even if it is a "newbie" style question. I guess since I have been in this trade for awhile that I get some satisfaction of being able to help someone out. The only thing that I would ask for is for people to try to make a real effort to try to find some of the information on their own for some of it is readily available in books and magazines. Now that doesn't mean you will find the right answers, becuase in my opinion experience is the best teacher, but you will probably find some useful information and you will have a better understanding of what the person is talking about when they do reply.

And like I have always said there are no stupid questions to ask, becuase you have to learn somehow and learn the correct way.

I think that J. Elliot is right, we do tend to se alot of the same old questions asked over and over here, and in a way that could be expected. Certain basic things like speeds and feeds, climb milling, import v.s. American, get asked all the time. Perhapse we should make more use of the greatest hits section. Then placing some of that over there. Then when the same questions come up people can simply be redirected.

Adam

Speaking as the guy who throws around his "experience" a lot, I don't at all mind answering what would seem to others as obvious questions. I've done it for many years. I'm an old fart and answering questions from my experience is my present job.

It's almost criminal not to set some struggling newbie's feet on the path. I'd hate to see anyone make mistake after mistake for lack of guidance and maybe hurt himself. I've seen a few who have gotten so discouraged they plain gave up the challenges and sold off sheir shops.

So speaking for myself, I like to see dumb questions. Smarter questions follow as the newbie makes progress up until we get some real head scratchers.

So ask.

I'm not a machinist; I'm a auto restorer and painter. Part of rebuilding a car usually involves some machining or making parts. I've learned a lot here and try to repay that education with information for others.

One reason I like this site is that the knowledge base is so varied. I can gain information on metals, methods and tools. On the same index, I can find help on casting, welding and forming. I bet I could find information on telescopes here too.
biggrin.gif

I would hardly ask someone on this forum to help make a water pump for a 1923 Austin but I would sure ask about counter-boring or shaft material.

Now, if I could just get help wiring that dang 6-lead 115vac gearmotor.

CCWKen,

Hah, telescopes! That's a good'un, as my main goal with this h'yer machining is to come up with the superfragilistic new telescope mount I've been mind-honing for four years now. I saw early on I'd have to make it myself, so I joined up with the tech school after Xmas in 2000. 'Bout ready to build the first prototype once the shop is done, sometime this summer. Downside to my glacial pace is that my family and serious girlfriend are tired of waiting and are elbowing me into teaching ASAP. Upside is that my design has improved a good bit from the extra time spent putting together a building and equipment. Serendipity strikes about once every three or four months, when I realize some new change which might make it cheaper/better/more accessible. The thing will be pretty big, and wheelchair accessible.

I don't speak about it too much as it's all pipe dreams until the thing is made and ready to market, ya know. Frankly, virtually no one knows anything specific about it at all as I keep a tight lid on the project. Which is fine with me because I can make all the changes I want and don't have to hear anyone ask, "OK, what was wrong with the other one?" (chuckle) It is a radically different to stargazing. Sure hope somebody finds it worth buying, otherwise I'll be headed back to the schoolhouse fer sure. I bet they'll have me drop all my favorite written Southern inflections, the Commie bastards... (Laugh again, as I'm about half lib'ral. But Clinton and the onslaught of gay agendizing from my party is about to de-lib'ralize me right quick.)

I think there is somebody else who frequents the board involved in telescope something-er-other. Wonder who?

[This message has been edited by J. Elliott (edited 05-25-2004).]

J. Elliot,

I usually don't do detailed drawings for my projects but on my telescope project I went exactly the opposite way. Before cutting a single chip I essentially built the entire scope in the computer, right down to the smallest details. I rendered many views from every possible angle. I used a program called Persistence of Vison Raytracer (POVray) as it allows modeling of optics. I was able to confirm the exact measurements of focal length since I was building a very close coupled focuser for maximum performance. This is an example of a rendering complete with virtual ruler. I highly recommend this sort of process as it sure cuts down the mistake level. This was a complex project and everything worked with no modifications.

diag1.jpg

cell.jpg

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-25-2004).]

Very nice...do you have a link to more information on POVray ?

Don,

First a warning: POVRAY is not a CAD program and is not compatible with CAD programs. It is programmed in a unique language called scene description language and does not use a graphical drawing interface. The learning curve is about as steep as the side of Mt. Everest. I have been programming since 1963 so I don't mind. It is freeware with a ton of resources available.

The address is http://www.povray.org

To give some idea of how it is programmed here is my code to draw the ruler. Once I have this written it is trivial to place the ruler anywhere I want, any size and any color. But programming it in the first place takes some time.

------------------------------

#declare ruler=union {

box {<0,0,0>, <-36,1.1,-.1>
pigment {Gray}
finish {
ambient 0.8
diffuse 0.2
brilliance .5
reflection 0.01
phong 0.2
phong_size 1200
}
translate <5,6,0>
}

#declare i=1;
#declare j=.1;

#while (i<36)
box {<0,0,.001>,<.03,.5,.003>
pigment { Black }
translate <5-36+i,6,0>}

#while (j<1)

box {<0,0,.001>,<.03,.25,.003>
pigment { Black }
translate <5-36+i+j-1,6,0>}

#declare j=j+.1;
#end
#declare j=.1;

#declare numb=
text {
ttf "timrom.ttf" str(i,1,0) .003, 0
pigment { Black } }

object {numb
scale <.3,.4,1>

translate <5-36+i-0.05,6.7,.001>
}

#declare i=i+1;
#end

}

Myself I was asking a few questions being that I'm new to solid carbide end mills. There were some very helpful answers to my questions about feeds/speeds/depth-of-cut. I do see feed/speed questions on here sometimes, but like you, I'd expect to see more.

I think we have lots of shy posters, which I'd deduce by how many members use nicknames to post on the board. Nothing wrong with being shy, as long as you can afford to forego what it costs by not speaking up and asking a dumb question or two.

Richard

Back