What's new
What's new

O.T. New heat pump for 2k square foot house?

Calzone

Hot Rolled
I'm about to turn my attached garage into a bedroom and need to replace my mid 80's Coleman heat pump because of the added footage. I'm looking to have to buy a 4 or 5 ton unit and wonder if anyone else has bought one recently.

I've been quoted $2300 for a 13seer Reem 5 ton unit, and $680 for the heater portion. This is without labor costs.

Should I look for a higher seer unit that is somewhat close to this price range? Anyone had bad experiences with Reem they'd like to share?

The reason I ask is that it's a large purchase, and one I'm going to have to live with for the next 20 years or so. I'd like to know that I'm making the right decision, and your advise is welcomed.

I'm about to turn my attached garage into a bedroom and need to replace my mid 80's Coleman heat pump because of the added footage. I'm looking to have to buy a 4 or 5 ton unit and wonder if anyone else has bought one recently.

I've been quoted $2300 for a 13seer Reem 5 ton unit, and $680 for the heater portion. This is without labor costs.

Should I look for a higher seer unit that is somewhat close to this price range? Anyone had bad experiences with Reem they'd like to share?

The reason I ask is that it's a large purchase, and one I'm going to have to live with for the next 20 years or so. I'd like to know that I'm making the right decision, and your advise is welcomed.

Have you done the analysis of heating/cooling loads (including those from the sun) to know what tonnage you really need? And what about ductwork sizes? You might want to consider a stand alone unit for the garage/bedroom...especially if the house is or will become multi-level. Charles

Have you done the analysis of heating/cooling loads (including those from the sun) to know what tonnage you really need? And what about ductwork sizes? You might want to consider a stand alone unit for the garage/bedroom...especially if the house is or will become multi-level. Charles

I haven't done the analysis yet, but I planned on it.

I was wondering more so if there is a brand that is better than the rest right now given seer rating and cost at purchase. I don't mind spending more now to save money later. Since I have a 7 seer now, anything new will pay for itself in the next 5-10 years.

I'm not sure of the duct work now, but I'll have to run another return and split off the main trunk as is. I did think of a single unit for the garage(bedroom), but it seemed a waste to pay electric bills on 2 units instead of getting 1 efficient one. Especially taking into account how old and inefficient my current one is.

I was wondering more so if there is a brand that is better than the rest right now given seer rating and cost at purchase. I don't mind spending more now to save money later. Since I have a 7 seer now, anything new will pay for itself in the next 5-10 years.

I'm not sure of the duct work now, but I'll have to run another return and split off the main trunk as is. I did think of a single unit for the garage(bedroom), but it seemed a waste to pay electric bills on 2 units instead of getting 1 efficient one. Especially taking into account how old and inefficient my current one is.

Unit should be sized for cooling load.Oversizing is not good because you will loose humidity control.You can end up with a damp cool home.3.5 ton unit is probably max. for your situation if home is well insulated and not too much air leakage.Power company may do a free survey to help you get the right sized unit.Many do energy conservation surveys to help you reduce electrical consumption.Consider your personal prefrences.Will 78F be ok or do you need 72F inside temp?Heating is secondary as even a 5 ton unit will not provide enough heat in your climate without energizing auxillary resistance heat.Brand of unit is not as important as quality of dealer unless you can install and service this unit yourself.

Unit should be sized for cooling load.Oversizing is not good because you will loose humidity control.You can end up with a damp cool home.3.5 ton unit is probably max. for your situation if home is well insulated and not too much air leakage.Power company may do a free survey to help you get the right sized unit.Many do energy conservation surveys to help you reduce electrical consumption.Consider your personal prefrences.Will 78F be ok or do you need 72F inside temp?Heating is secondary as even a 5 ton unit will not provide enough heat in your climate without energizing auxillary resistance heat.Brand of unit is not as important as quality of dealer unless you can install and service this unit yourself.

"I was wondering more so if there is a brand that is better than the rest right now given seer rating and cost at purchase. I don't mind spending more now to save money later."

A couple of years ago, I was in a similar situation and did quite a bit of research. I went with a Trane XL series. Curiously, the new condenser was twice as big as my old one, even though they were the same tonnage. It is amazingly quiet. I also got a variable speed air handler and was surprised at how much difference it made.

"I was wondering more so if there is a brand that is better than the rest right now given seer rating and cost at purchase. I don't mind spending more now to save money later."

A couple of years ago, I was in a similar situation and did quite a bit of research. I went with a Trane XL series. Curiously, the new condenser was twice as big as my old one, even though they were the same tonnage. It is amazingly quiet. I also got a variable speed air handler and was surprised at how much difference it made.

Are you planning on a burried or drilled ground loop for the heat pump. Below a certain temp., can't remember the exact number, heat pumps can no longer extract enough heat from the ambient air and the resistance heating unit kicks in. With a ground loop the heat pump extracts energy from the earth, a virtually unlimited energy source. Initial installation costs should be offset by yearly savings.

Are you planning on a burried or drilled ground loop for the heat pump. Below a certain temp., can't remember the exact number, heat pumps can no longer extract enough heat from the ambient air and the resistance heating unit kicks in. With a ground loop the heat pump extracts energy from the earth, a virtually unlimited energy source. Initial installation costs should be offset by yearly savings.

Back