What's new
What's new

on-board welder suggestions?

ADrummond

Hot Rolled
I'm planning on buying a pickup truck in the next week or so, and I'd like to put a welder in it - one of those powered by the alternator (a beefed-up alternator, that is) or an add-on unit, like the Zena sold on ebay and elsewhere. Does anyone out there have any experience with these, particularly the TIG-compatible units? Is AC wishful thinking? I guess that would take a heck of an inverter... Here are a couple of links, if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

http://www.mobi-arc.com/generalfaqs.htm#6
http://www.zena.net/

thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew, I have not had any experience with either one. I have a 28v 100 amp alternator, hooked up to a 10 hp engine that I am going to use to power a mig wire feeder. The prices they charge would make me really want to see one in person.

I have an engine-driven welder too, but it isn't as portable as I'd like - it weighs 700 lbs, and I don't want it in the back of the truck all the time. I'm just looking for something more convenient - would it make sense to simply install a second, higher output alternator (with a clutch) for use as a welder?

Andrew

Gee, it sure is nice to see my webpage is getting some hits! Thanks Nick! I was linked by POR last week, this is a nicer place to find it! *lol*

Anyway, onboard Tig... It is simple enough to do, my weldernator will handle it - scractch start- but it's a bit of a bugger to get enough shielding gas outside. Maybe I live in a windy part of the world, but I've found the need to bump up cup sizes by a couple and flow rates increase too. Argon preferred over Helium, too.

Damon, Good deal. I didn't even know this messageboard existed when I bookmarked your site. I came across your site when my alternator in my truck started going south. I was interested in the onboard welder concept just like Andrew was and I started poking around. I happened across your site (I can't remember if I found it with google or linked to it from another site) and I found it pretty helpful. I have also posted it on the Red Power tractor forum. It generated some interest over there too. Good work *back pat*! :D Take care.

Nick :cool:

Hi members
I am considering building a weldernator but I don't understand why diodes are needed in the welding circuit. As an AC welder of 40 yrs experience I am happy to use AC. I understand the frequency of an alternator should not be a problem at 400Hz according to Lincoln. Is there something I am missing? I know DC is required for Aluminium etc but that is not my focus. I only need to weld equipment that is away from home in order to get it back home for repairs. Presumably I could add a diode bank if needed for aluminium.
Thanks Ian

Hi members
I am considering building a weldernator but I don't understand why diodes are needed in the welding circuit. As an AC welder of 40 yrs experience I am happy to use AC. I understand the frequency of an alternator should not be a problem at 400Hz according to Lincoln. Is there something I am missing? I know DC is required for Aluminium etc but that is not my focus. I only need to weld equipment that is away from home in order to get it back home for repairs. Presumably I could add a diode bank if needed for aluminium.
Thanks Ian
You really, really need to start a new thread.

However, the reason for the diodes, is because the output of the alternator is 3 phase, and you can't just tie all the leads together
for one welding lead.

Back