What's new
What's new

OT- Anyone know about charcoal canister on car engines ?

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 2
  • Views 825
D

D. Thomas

I'm getting a check engine light on a car that I think may be caused by the charcoal canister either being clogged or having valve problems. One source says "defective valve" on the canister. Know any way to make sure the problem is in this area and can just the valve be replaced or does one replace the whole shebang typically ?

My experience with the charcoal canisters is that on high mileage cars they can become clogged with a cruddy oily sludge. Usually a good cleaning of the caister housing and associated houising sets everything right. Just went though this on a Saab 9000. The original symptom was fuel smell in the car. You may want to clean the breather tubes going to and from the canister, at least the ones you can get at easily. Maybe the valve in question is the PCV valve which I think is usually located on the valve cover. It can get clogged up and cause problems too. Probably easiest solution is to replace it.

If it is on your wife's Sable, it is probably the canister vent valve. The canister is located under the trunk and the valve is mounted on it. Do you have the trouble code?

Back