What's new
What's new

Ammco 7" Crossfeed nut

Canyonman

Hot Rolled
Hi All,

We got an Ammco 7" shaper!!!! What a peach!! Sweeeeeeet!! Excellent shape!! Missing door but the condition the rest is in, Damn! Almost had to change my underwear!!! Couldn't pay the man fast enough!!! Thats the good news.

Now the bad news. It fell over in the truck when some jackass went thru that flashing yellow <his was red> on 74 on the way home. Wiped out the table crossfeed nut! Just when fortune finally dealt ME a hand, fate snatches it away!! Downloaded a manual and am gonna E-mail Miller Machine and pray I get one more break! His crossfeed and compound nuts for my SB 13" were excellent. Wish me luck!

As for your next thought, forget it. Tried to clean up the threads with a 1/2 X 13 NC <which is correct or at least matched the pitch gage> tap, but now I'm doubting everything. ID'd as PN S25-6, anyone have details on the thread? Is it the same as an Atlas? Thread and Crossfeed nut? Brian has those in stock. Anyway, no go, couldn't for the life of me get a straight start. B-Square tap wrench and drill press, Atlas 618 chuck up. Also checked the leadscrew for run out, thank God its' not bent. I'm so PO'ed I gotta quit for a minute. After E-mail to Miller.

Lori even charmed him out of a Delta scroll saw he had not used in years, covered in dust, excellent machine! Women!!!!!!!!! Ya gotta love 'em!! Ken

"....Now the bad news. It fell over in the truck when some jackass went thru that flashing yellow <his was red> on 74 on the way home....."

Was it securely tied down? If not, count your blessings. I once saw the remains of a pickup where an unsecured SB shaper had stuck the rear of the cab after a similar traffic situation. Its remains had gone through the box, entered the cab and rested in the center of the bench seat to serve as a center arm rest. The occupants on the pickup were fortunate to be alive.

TMT

Congratulations on your new shaper. Happy to hear nothing more than feelings were hurt in the upset. Neat shaper forum here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers/

Art Volz is the go-to guy there. He has a collection of shaper doors, and no, he won't sell you one. There was discussion about producing a run of doors for a shaper, but I don't think it was for the AMMCO. They are easy enough to cast as a backyard project. There is even artwork in the files to produce the AMMCO decal.

We need to see before and after pictures.

Tom (you won't believe the SHAPE I'm in)

Thanks TMT, Tom

I have a Jimmy so all was in with me! I thought I had things packed well enough, I agree with your packing/loading policies. Yes I'm glad no-one got hurt, that is more important but Dang, my FIRST "turn Key" machine. Not to have to live in the land of make do!

Will post pics when Ammco is back together.

Brian Miller of Miller Machine, of SB Crossfeed and Compound nut fame has called me three times to check and question my pictures and attempt at a blueprint. Says he wants to add these (shaper nuts) to the inventory. Had a gear on the machine but he is gonna roll me to the top! Cost a bit more as it is the first "one off". But I should be up & runnin by Monday night (morining)

What GREAT people you meet in machining!!

Thanks Again! Ken

I just measured the screw in my Ammco, and it is in fact 1/2-13 LEFT HAND. Did the threads strip out of your nut or did it break the tab where it is bolted to the box table off? Mine looks to be about 1.38 inches long, so I would think it would take a more than a fall to pull the threads out. If it did just break the tab off it might be possible to bolt a new one on after milling the nut to accept a plate. Good luck to you.

I bought some precision leadscrew from (IIRC ) MSC or mcMaster-Carr for my father-in-laws lathe crosslide screw. It was pretty reasonably priced and LH
Geoff

Well W.C.M.

I gotta level with ya, it wiped over about 2 threads worth. But then I killed it with the tap, LH thread didn't even cross my mind till it was too late!

Brian Miller of MillerMachine and I have been playing phone tag all weekend. I was tired, mad, heavy thumbed, and all when I attempted a blueprint for him. We have been confirming measurements. I CAN'T PRAISE THIS GUY ENOUGH! All the work he is puttin in for a "one off" part.

As I said before, I think here, you meet some great people in machining!!

Ken

Back