What's new
What's new

Build you r own paper shredder?

rklopp

Diamond
Is anyone aware of plans for a do-it-yourself paper shredder? (No, not a fireplace
smile.gif
)

I just saw some nice hand crank ones for 10 bucks recently. and the 110volt ones at office depot are only about 75 bucks to start with.
So you gotta be a pretty die hard do it yourselfer to want to build one.
But if you must make your own, just reverse engineer a cheap one. Of course, you will probably have to buy one and take it apart to do that, but you could give it away at the end of the project, or maybe even sell it on ebay for 2 or 3 times what you paid for it.
smile.gif

Ahem:

The good gentleman who wants to build his own paper shredder has a California "from" tag.

Ever since the days of Tricky Dick Nixon, the demand for paper shredders in Washington, D.C. and New York City has been so high that it has depressed the supply in other pars of the counrty.

So much evidence - so litle time!

Sounds like a *perfect* project for an HSM magazine article...

smile.gif

I think there maybe some Bill Clinton approved 35 hp models at various surplus places around DC and Little Rock. Building one of the really high volume models might be interesting and you could use it for yard clippings and small trees. I think those BC models had carbide cutters capable of chewing up small firearms.

Weren't the BC models 480 volts, 3 phase and "rotary screw" ??

If you build your own, paper clips, staples, diskettes stuck in between, CDs and bindery clips should no longer be a problem
wink.gif

Den

If you want to play like the BIG BOYS, once you have a shredder you'll need to find a Fawn Hall type to operate it. For the die hard build it yourselfer, study plans for such an accessory are available at many of the better magazine racks, or can be easily located online.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by BillSct (edited 04-23-2004).]

[This message has been edited by BillSct (edited 04-23-2004).]

Sounds like a *perfect* project for an HSM magazine article...

Uh oh, the evil anti-Don has been spotted!

Look out, you will spawn another HSM BBS thread............'nuff said.

Weren't the BC models 480 volts, 3 phase and "rotary screw" ??

biggrin.gif

Perhaps a portable model, powered by a 496 inch, 2500 HP aluminum hemi engine mounted to a trailer that can be backed up to the corner of your desk........or perhaps a perkins diesel engine ala road construction compressors....

Remember the Carter days when Iran was holding our people. They took the shredded paper and put the little pieces back together. I would use the flame shredder.

Well J, I thought it fit the bill....you can buy one ready made better than one you make and for less than the material cost, it's mundane, and no one really needs one anyway...sounds perfect !

Now, stop fannin' those flames !

wink.gif

I used to have to go to the Navy Security Center on Nebraska Avenue in D.C. Super spooky outfit.

They didn't use no stinkn' paper shredder.

They had two incinerators that looked like small package boiler units. Two guys would haul the Black Bags and two others would tag along with sidearms. When it was all done they would check the ashes.

That's the "That document, disk, printer ribbon, negative, etc. never existed method".

Well J, I thought it fit the bill

You mean you thought it fit the Bill?
biggrin.gif

As for the other reference, well I got the point, all I done was see the fire,
tongue.gif

Back