What's new

plans to build a collet chuck

• Thread starter Dick A
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 13,041
D

Dick A

I have a 13" la bonde lathe with threaded spindle and would like to know if there are any plans that can be found to build a collet chuck for it? Thanks

Dick,

I've seen plans for 5C collet chucks in HSM a couple of times.

I was going to build one until Santa brought me one of those Bison scroll type collet chucks a couple of years ago. I made the back plate for it as close as I could get it and it still runs within .0002" on my threaded spindle. I wouldn't trade it.

Andy Pullen

Here's an old "mini lathe" link I had saved with a 5C closer "proposed" plan:

http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/collet-chuck.pdf

It was a proposed plan for one and not actually built at the time but is still good food for thought.

added - shouldn't your 13" machine be able to swallow the 5C and a spindle nose adapter? A manual or lever type closer beats the 5C chucks for speed and you lose the overhang of the collet chuck.

Den

[This message has been edited by dennh (edited 04-23-2004).]

Sometimes you don't want to work too close to the spindle, either because of bed wear or saddle interference with the headstock or gearbox. The 12x36 Asian belt drive lathes (e.g. JET 1236P) are notorious for the latter problem. There, a screw-on collet chuck makes a lot of sense. Otherwise you need a spindle nose extension to use a draw-tube tytpe closer effectively. If a lathe has lots of bed wear from working with chucks, then you try to make the saddle climb onto an unworn area closer to the spindle, inconvenient things can happen.

Den,

I agree about the lever collet chucks. They are very fast. The Hardinge at work has one.

But the Bison chuck is fine for home shop work. It works well for me even if changing collets is slow.

My South Bend has a handwheel closer for 5C collets.

Andy Pullen

[This message has been edited by andy pullen (edited 04-23-2004).]

Rklopp: You bring up good (educational) points on the spindle extension being a plus on older machines with bed wear. Hadn't thought of that.

I'll 2nd the comments on the MLA stuff. Saw the 5C and other items at the last American Precision Museum show in VT. First class looking stuff when finished.

Den

I'll agree with rkloop about the idea of the spindle nose extension, but for a different reason. The scope and variety of 5C workholding goes far beyond the standard collets. As to the concern about bed wear, if you are doing thin work in a faceplate your are going to run into the same problem.

Back