What's new
What's new

camphor (for rust inhibitor)- where can I get it??

ironhoarder

Cast Iron
An old machinist once suggested that I put a piece of camphor in each drawer of my machinist tool box to prevent oxidation. He said "just go to the druggist and buy some camphor". Sounded too easy- and a bit too 1950's to be able to buy pure camphor. And sure enough- no drug store I've found sells pure camphor. Most of the kids working there had no idea what I was talking about. If there ain't a tv commercial for it, it ain't at the drugstore.

I even went to a special drugstore that sells "compounds", but no luck.

Now, mentholatum contains 10% camphor and vicks has 7%. Maybe that will do the trick. Is this going to be my only option? The machinist said that it comes in a stick, and you expose a small corner- that's all you need.

If anybody knows where I can buy the stuff, please let me know. In the meantime I'll try a little mentolatum (I love the smell, btw). Maybe it will clear up the precision tool congestion in my machinist chest...

Any old-timers remember back around 1954 how we used to hang a lump of camphor around our necks to avoid getting polio? This was just before the Salk vaccine came out.

Don't go to a special drug store, find a good one. Wallgreen's would be the best chain if you don't have an old Rexall store. My dad is a retired pharmacist and I've used "camphor gum blocks" for years. If the store doesn't stock it, they can order in 1 lb. packages (16-1oz. blocks). Wholesale is about $20 from Abco (stock # 1600127) or about $29 from Humco. Both are per pound.

When you get them in, just cut a slit in the wrapping and put in your box. Depending on humidity, air circulation, etc. a block should last 3-9 months.
JR
JR

Dang! no one told me about the camphor to prevent polio.
Guess I was lucky not to contract it.
Another narrow escape!

Had a classmate who got polio shortly before the vaccine was available. Ruined one of his legs, and he was destined to be an NFL running back for sure.

RIP, EJ.

Back