What's new
What's new

What is tantung?

jkilroy

Diamond
A hobby shop (Like me) friend of mine has offered to part with some tooling for a reasonable price. In this batch of stuff there is a small box of 5/16 (or 3/8's not sure) tool bits that are marked Tantung. Having no idea what that was I looked on the MSC site and see that those things sell for big bucks. (The MSC price PER BIT was more than I paid for the entire lot) What is it and what could, or should, it be used for? Better yet, what should I NOT do with it? Also, what kind of wheel do you need to grind it?

It's a cast alloy intended for cutting operations. It's very heat and abrasion resistant. Regular grinding wheels rapidly dulls and heats the stuff red hot (and the guy holding the tool). Dress the wheel often. Cool it frequently by dipping it slowly shank first so you don't crack it.

You'll probably find a mark or a notch on one end that denotes the perferred orientation. The stuff has a grain something like wood and is more resistant to wear one way than it is the other.

I don't think there's any iron in the alloy; it's cobalt, chromium, tantalum, tungsten, etc, related to stellite.

It is expensive and best used for hard to machine materials like inconel. If you have no need for it maybe you can engineer a swap for plain vanilla tool steel better suited for your shop.

Thanks Mr. Addy, Doesn't sound like anything that I have a use for. I'll see if I can swap it back to him for something more my speed.

I used to work in a shop where they used it a lot, mostly for interrupted cuts. It is hard like carbide, but not as brittle so it wouldnt chip or crack when the carbide would have. Everyone there liked it a lot. I'd keep some of it, you might need it one day. It is good stuff. At least I think so.

Jkilroy,

You're going to give Forrest a swelled head....Just kidding, Forrest.

I've used Tantung on stainless and titanium. It's tough to grind like Forrest says, but holds up well under heat.

I would keep a piece or 2 in my box, too.

Andy Pullen

Back