What's new
What's new

Material for 1/2" stud

Nick C.

Plastic
New member here. I need to make 4 studs,1/2" dia. and 6 1/2" long, threaded on both end 20 tpi. They should have the strength of a grade 5 bolt or better. These studs will replace the bolts that hold the main bearing caps to the block on a Model A Ford engine with about 50 HP and a torque of 80 fp on the studs. I have some drill rod W1, will that work or should I use something else? I will thread them in a lathe but did not plan to send them out for heat treating. Your advice will be appreciated. Thanks Nick

4140 and the W1 you mentioned come to mind.

The B7 from Mcmaster is also a good choice as I believe the threads are rolled and stronger.

I used B7 studs (3/8"-16) from Mcmaster in a Continental engine I worked on in a forklift. These are used to attach the (flat)head to the cylinder block with nary a problem in use.

I purposefully dinged one of the threads with a flat punch so the studs would stop turning into the block and I could attempt to seal the water coming up past the threads from the open waterjacket below...this seemed to be the source of the previous headgasket problem as far as my forensic analysis could make out.

-Matt

Another great thing about the B7 from McMaster is it is so darn cheap. They also make studs threaded on each end. You might check the site and see if they have a stock item you could use as is or modify.

Nick, cant help with the material , but have a question, I just finished rebuilding a Model A for a customer, Went to clean the head for resufacing, uncovered a huge crack, you know where I might find a head? this is a '32
Jim

Then there is ARP, which no doubt have 6 1/2 on the shelf - rolled thread, black oxide, ground OD - made from amazingly strong stuff for racing engines.

John

In the link John provided I see the following;

Model B head $85, used Model B rods $10 ea.
Chuck Kuntz <[ EMAIL ]>
RR 6 Box 307, Altoona, PA USA - Friday, February 24, 2006

Quote: "Went to clean the head for resufacing, uncovered a huge crack, you know where I might find a head?"

Maybe it's an opportunity to quadruple the HP :D

DOHC_Ford_2_-HAL-.jpg

DOHC_Ford_1_-Fronty-Ford-.jpg

stephen thomas...
Immediately behind the first engine is a faithful Ranger aircraft engine....turned heads up (reverted from inverted :D ). Popular thing in the fifties. Looks like it's got two Strombergs..

Well, bluchip, since this high-jacking is going so successfully :D ...

There is someone who posts on PM that has put up pictures of his Fairchild, presumably with ranger power, though may be a different model engine.

IIRC the one in the picture might actually have been modified for car racing, (not necessarily successfully). Hard to imagine what class, as the displacement would be huge.

smt

Back