What's new
What's new

Carboloy wazzit ?

tom in nh

Cast Iron
I have a brain teaser from a co-worker....I am stumped as to what its application and function could be.
Surely someone here knows what it is.
Overall height is 2.525".
Diameter is 1.513".
It has 8 evenly spaced slots but with varying slot thicknesses, from thin to thick.
Stamped on end is " C - G - E Carboloy Made in Canada".
A wild guess is some sort of indexable holding device.
Fire away.

P1010288.jpg

P1010287.jpg

P1010286.jpg

Really no idea on this CARBOLOY is a company from Michigan that manufactures tooling for the mill, lathe and other machines; possibly it fell off a machine in their manufacturing plant

Swedish?

Both GE and Krupp had patents for tungsten carbide, a hard metal composition valued for its use in cutting dies and machining metal. Neither company’s patents were good enough to set up a monopoly. But jointly they could influence the world market. Discussions between GE and Krupp began in April 1928. A GE representative asserted that his company’s willingness to enter new lines of business was dependent upon "the extent to which they can discourage competition." Eight months later they had an agreement which allowed GE the right to fix prices. GE set up a separate subsidiary, Carboloy, to handle the business.

Yes, Swedish. And I mean Seco-Carboloy, of course. Here is another quote from their website; about a paragraph below the one you cut and pasted with no credit to the author or source:

"Our world headquarters are located in Sweden and North America. The North American headquarters is located in Warren, MI."

and

"Seco Tools, parent company to Seco-Carboloy in Warren, Mich., took up the challenge and garnered..."

Carboloy is owned by Seco, which, as I say again, is a Swedish company, Bub. :D

Fact is, GE started Carboloy, and so it was for many years. Recenty bought out by seco, so technically it's Sweedish, I suppose.

ps..you gave no credit to the author or source you cut and pasted that from..SHAME ON YOU :)

I mean Seco-Carboloy, of course. Here is another quote from their website
Oh yes I did, Jeff!! Look for yourself! :D And yes, I'm quite a technical fellow, so it makes sense that I'd be technically correct. :D

I'm not sure about "recently" bought out; I guess it would be *relatively* recently considering the age of the company. It was/is quite obvious, I thought, that GE had originally started/owned Carboloy, merely by clicking the Ebay link I posted you could see the original product packaging for the item in question in the O.P. which clearly showed "Made by Carboloy Section of G.E." or something to that effect.

wxyz, I got that info here......
http://www.ranknfile-ue.org/uen_nastybiz.html
.....some interesting reading, but Seco wasn't mentioned. So technically, your statement "Here is another quote from their website; about a paragraph below the one you cut and pasted", is incorrect :eek: Posting a link to the source may technically be the best way to credit and avoid confusion?

Maybe Carboloy should be referred to as a US or Swedeish company in relation to the current topic. Otherwise it appears that it was Sweden and not GE that was in cahoots with the nazis :confused:

:) Don't really matter wyz, just a friendly debate.

How does that skate sharpener work anyway?

The different width slots fit different widths of skate blades. In the center is a round carbide insert which you drag along the blade to sharpen it. Kind of like those similar carbide knife sharpeners.

we started with Kennametal, then Sandvik, then Ingersoll, now Iscar. Each one about five years. They all worked. Choice seems to depend mostly on what the local industrial suplier is dealing on, or what the current supervisor was "in love with" at his previous employer :)

Back