What's new
What's new

Case hardening dimensional changes

Richard Rogers

Titanium
I'll be sending some parts to a heat treater to be case hardened .030 deep 50 Rockwell hardness. There are some holes in it 3/8" NC and I was wondering if I should expect any dimensional changes that would make them too tight for a set screw. Material 1018 cold rolled steel.

Thanks,

Richard

They will shrink up Richard. Ask them to plug them for you to keep the process out. At P&WA we copper plated all areas not to be carburized. You could also just tap the holes .005 over if a non critical application.

John

We put a green no-carb paste of some sort in all our threaded holes so they can be chased later if necessary. I can get the details if you need them.
Regards,
Bob

Richard,
We buy the paste directly from the manufacturer. It's Avion Mfg. at 1-800-284-6693, and their part number is G-CSO-1.
Regards,
Bob

How about when heat treating something like 17-7ph stainless.

My understanding was it won't change dimention much when hardened. Will it change a threaded hole much?

Mark

MEF: These are low temperature precipitation process, rarely over 1100* F, and you are not "adding stuff" like in carburizing 1018. Probably some change in a tapped hole, but I would not know if it is measureable with "shop" tools.

John

Hey There,
I know this is a long shot because of it being an old post. I was wondering if carburizing adds .005" overall to the part which is .0025" a side?

How Much Does Carburizing add to overall dimensions

Hey There,
I know this is a long shot because of it being an old post. I was wondering if carburizing adds .005" overall to the part which is .0025" a side?

Thanks,
CG

Back