What's new
What's new

Cat 30 Tool Holders for a Millrite Mill

rookie1

Plastic
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have found it to be a GREAT place for info! I am a bit of a rookie so please bear with me if i ask some pretty basic/stupid questions! :o

I have restored an old Millrite mill to operation and need a little advice on tool holders. It appears my Millrite has a Cat 30 taper. the tool holders i have are all marked in some manner with a "30" (ex. 5/8 x 30) and the draw bar on the mill is a 1/2x13 which seems to confirm that is a Cat 30 taper.

Is there any way to absolutely confirm that it is a Cat 30 taper?

If it is, does anyone know of a place that may still sell or has any Cat 30 tool holders?

bob:confused:

If the thread in the back of the tool holder is 1/2-13 and the tool holder has 2 drive slots then I am about 95% sure it is CAT30. If it is CAT30 the biggest diameter on the tool holder should be 1.812 in diameter.

I would love to quote you some holders but my backlog is getting pretty big. Try to Google cat30 and cat 30. Good luck. Be careful with ISO30 it is not the same.

Cat 30 tool holders.

I just looked in my machinerys handbook, Cat 30 holders are 1.250 inches at the gage line. This dim seems to come up on both spindle gage lines and gage lines on tool holder. ANSI B5.18 1972 (R1998)
Fmari, 1.812 inches? Where do dat come from?
Regards Walt..

if its an older machine its probably a nmtb 30 taper. if you use cat30s you might need a longer drawbar. just search ebay for 30 taper, there is a bunch there.

Ok, i have looked at ebay and at my tool holders again and it appears that i have both the nmtb 30 and one Cat 30 tool holder. I am guessing that the nmtb 30 also uses a 1/2x13 drawbar? Also, from the model number, the machine was most likely built in 1965.

thanks for the advise!

one last and possible very stupid question...none of my tool holders have retention knobs. what do the retention knobs do and how do they work (yes, i am a rookie!!).

here is a picture of the mill...functional but not "restored" and two of the tool holders. one i think is the nmtb30 and the other is the cat 30. any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1965 Millrite mill.JPG
    1965 Millrite mill.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,854
  • maybe cat 30 holder.JPG
    maybe cat 30 holder.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,468
  • maybe nmtb 30 collet holder and collets.JPG
    maybe nmtb 30 collet holder and collets.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 2,217
Yes, It looks like one is a CAT30 and the other is a NMTB30 tool holder.
The CAT30 typically needs a pull stud. NMTB30 holders never use pull studs and just screw into the drawbar. If your drawbar is long enough you can hold both. As long as the thread is deep enough on the CAT30 tool holder.

Thanks for the tip on MSC they do have a good selection of the NMTB 30 holders (those are not easy to find). I should be able to buy the right pieces to get a drill chuck set up on my mill.

I have tried using the cat 30 5/8" tool holder and it appears to seat properly and holds well in the mill. I cut some aluminum without a problem as a test (not much of a strain on the machine but i wanted to start out easy) and it seemed ok. Any advice on how many threads should engage in the cat 30 tool holder for safe use?

Rookie, if you need nmtb 30 I have a bunch of these I was saving in case I get another mill that uses them.

Many are new or like new and all quality brands, iscar, kennametal, erickson....

Contact me if interested I will make you a great deal!!

Joe Simmers (ohio)

The Millrites came in B&S #9 (most common), B&S #10, R8, Morse 2, Morse 3, and 30 National Standard.

I have an R8 Millrite, and I'm quoting that out of the Millrite manual.

CAT-30 Package deal!

If it is, does anyone know of a place that may still sell or has any Cat 30 tool holders?

bob:

Bob,
I have a whole ton of CAT30 tooling that I got in a blind auction at my work. We're talking 70 tool holders, with cutters, 18 BNIB collets, trays for them, a scoot cart, 2 height setters (dorian and technics) and a tightening fixture!
I have 0 use for them, and bought them because they were the same weight as a steel table (which I use)

I hate to see good tools go to waste, but I need my garage space back.

Back