What's new

Tough threading on making nuts.

• Thread starter lc
  • Start date
  • Replies 3
  • Views 893
L

lc

Had a simple tiny job the other day that turned tough. Had to make two 18tpi nuts to a non-nominal dia. thread out of mild steel. REALLY simple. Yeah, try 5 times to get it right. Well, here's a big fault of mine. Didn't give but forgot to check the pitch- 16tpi. Huh. At least a retired jorneyman admitted he just finished with the same mistake.

And I remember cutting a metric thread one day and had things looking like they were to depth, nut I was checking with wouldn't even think about going. You have to flip that lever that says metric on a Cholchester to cut metric. Not sure what pitch I cut, but it wasn't the right one.

Join the club.

I haven't the faintest idea of what you're talking about. My specialty is cutting Acme nuts on a Grazian lathe with the lever flipped to diametral/module pitches. Did that not once but twice in the same .

I checked around discovered several other guys had the same trouble, spindle shiftet into highest RPMs over lunch time. Heads tilted out of tram. Tools offset a full revolution into the work while the operator is off on a potty break. Planer tabel stops shifted, dial bore gages tampered with. We had a malicious lever flipper in the shop.

A trap was set using Prussian blue and sprung. The man was confronted by the crew and supervisor and fired on the spot.

Good for him. Bad for me. A man on the ball should check over the all the levers settings before committing to a thread or other cucial feature. I was slack.

bored out , shrunk a bushing & threaded a 12 in faceplate 2x7..everything going great ,thread 3/4 finished& noticed compound not in same plane as threading tool!!!!!set it on the complement.....finished w crosslide & have maybe %50 thread......
first & last, ihope, time for this piece of carelessness.......can remember doing some internal threading w/ compound set up for external thrds! .......one nice thing abt having an old lathe w/ out compound is you cant mis set it!!!.....put the lard to the work & the x/slide finished up nice clean funny looking threads ....seems to work fine but will remember my stupidity every time i use faceplate.....if confession is good for the soul, how come i dont feel better?....being a non pro is a sorry a.. consolation!
best wishes
docn8as

Back