What's new
What's new

Classes & Work Shops

Marshall Henderson

Hot Rolled
I would be interested in taking short work shops/classes that might be offered on some of the following subjects. Hand Scraping, pouring babbit, casting, forging, etc, etc. Any ideas on what is available? Always looking to add to my skill set.

Marshall

hi,

overall, you may be best served by pursuing night adult education classes in your area.

scraping. there is ascraping class (that may already be filled, i don't know), to be held in south carolina in sept iirc, search posts in the general forum.

casting. rick rolands (youngstown oh) as i understand, will provide instruction in casting (cast iron type), in trade for volunteer work.

you might get better results posting this within the general forum.

can you clarify your skill set/background/intent (to more directly assist you)?

ihth

regards.

Kent State University offers a cast metals class in the evenings. I took it as a grad student while I was working on my MA in Industrial Technology. Had a bunch of fun. Check your local college course catalog. If your school offer engineering or Industrial Technology you may find sme fun stuff. However I would not count on scraping or babit bearing pours at the college. A little dated ;)

Mike

In Rockland Maine the local vocational school is having an ault education class for CNC Machines. The machines there are pretty crappy so they are being held at the Lie Nielsen Toolworks machine shop close-by. I know the instructor well and he is a very nice guy, professional, knowledgable and all that. I don't know where you are from, but it would be a great class if you are in the area.

My background
Grew up on a farm in Iowa.
Have been around machinery all my life.
Collected old gas engines, etc for years, now into bigger iron, Old Construction Equipment.
13 years as shetmetal worker, 5 as air compressor tech (large recips), 10 as building engineer.
Have run most types of metal working machines.
Looking to learn about some of the old time arts like I mentioned so that I can restore/ service older machinery.
Still live in Iowa, tough to go very far for classes. Had a great teacher, he died before he really could transfer his knowledge.
Hope this helps.
Scraping class in GA sounds great, can't make it.
Thanks
Marshall

Back