What's new
What's new

Magnetic DRO

Bioman

Aluminum
I am looking to add a DRO, but for this particular application I wanted to use one that utilizes a magnetic strip with a sensing element that reads the strip. I don’t want a type that requires actual contact or physical anchoring between the two surfaces , as this is a very dusty vibration prone application. I am woefully ignorant of DRO’s and was hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

The Sony SJ700 or Millman DRO's are the magnetic type. I recently bought a used lathe that has this installed. One scale works very well, the other scale was broken when I got it, so I don't know how it got that way.

if your thinking "magnetic" as in digital caliper type strip, they are not magnetic like an audio tape.

It's a grid of metal bars in a pattern and the sensor reads a change in capacitance with proximity to the arrangement of bars. just like newalls spherosyn encoders. just flat bars in a strip instead of round balls in a tube.

I don't know anything about the suitability for vibration. except these scales are common on machine tools, and unless your application is much harsher than a mill it should do ok. lucky for you, the magnetis scales are the cheapest to play with.

there is a website about incorporating cheap chineese scales with a build your own DRO.

Yes, the vibration may likely exceed that of a metalworking machine as this is an industrial thickness planer for a woodworking operation. That is why I was concerned with physical contact.

They should work fine in that application. A company I make some parts for does commercial woodworking measurement systems using the Chinese capacitance type scales. They have them custom made by one of the Chinese scale mfgrs in lengths up to 26 feet.

Back