What's new
What's new

Source for unbored V-Belt sheaves

AndyF

Stainless
I need to replace a sheave on the input side of a gearbox. Simple job except for the fact that the gearbox manufacturer turned the input shaft down to 0.604" rather than leaving it at 0.750". Any idea where I can find an unbored or 1/2" dia bore 7" sheave. The only ones I've found so far have at least a 5/8" bore.

I know you have already thought of this but what I have done in the past is overbore the I.D. of the pulley I had press a chunk of round stock in it (weld if possible or needed) and rebore to the size I wanted.
It is a fix that works well even if it is a fix.
Dan

Andy, 7" dia is the pitch dia or the OD, also what belt cross section are you running, likely an A or B. A classic single-groove V-belt sheave is sold by pitch dia and you have to peruse the catalog to get the OD...

I am also betting that a 5/8" dia taperlock bushing will squeeze down enough to clamp on the .604 OD, possibly you can find a belt sheave set for a QD hub which will also grip better/longer.

Congress sheaves (aluminum die-cast) are probably sold like you want but an aluminum sheave is for home-shop light duty use and not 24-7 or 16-6 industrial useage.

I have been able to use pulleys from G and G Manufacturing, which use a welded in hub. You buy the correct sheeve, and the hub to match your application, and weld together. Work great!
here in Canada I get them from Princess Auto, which is a farm supply type of store.

Pete

I'd go with an undersize taperlock and bore the bushing (have done that in the past) You might even find a bushing at 9/16, so not much boring. It is fussy to set up in the 4 jaw, you want it aligned axially with no runout radially, but still a simple job. Start out by shimmming the slot with a piece of aluminum on size.

smt

maybe what you have is a 15 millimeter shaft.

Back