What's new
What's new

Chinese Keyless drill chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob D

Aluminum
We had an empty 40 taper tool holder at the shop so we did a little test.

We bought a $300 keyless chuck from jacobs.

We bought a $12 keyless chuck from a sales flier that came over our fax.

The jacobs chuck ran out .003 the mystery chuck ran out .0004.

Our country is in serious s##t.

I just bought 3 key type 5/8" chucks for $9.50 each. I still need to check the runout but a quick check doesn't show any problems, very smooth to turn. I have a 1970's Taiwan chuck that had little runout but felt rough when I turned it. I finally took it apart and found that the adjusting ring must have not been heat treated right as it was wearing away and the particles were making it hard to turn.

If it "works" and lasts 30 years like the average Jacobs chuck we ARE in trouble. The little industry that is left here can't afford something that doesn't "work" properly, even at the cost differential mentioned. The "down time" alone would make a junk tool 10x more expensive in a very short time.

Uh, hold on here. How extensivly did you check this? I mean, did you check each tapered arbor it was on to make sure the holder or shank had equal runout before you checked the chuck? If not, it's an in-accurate comparison.

Also, I hope you needed that $300.00 chuck for something other than this test. If not, I need to start charging more. :D

Not to hijack this thread or anything but why are Jacobs drill chuck arbors not hardened yet even some of the cheep china ones are?

Dave we checked both chucks on the same arbor cheap one first (Planned on keeping the jacobs).

Thought we mave have messed up the arbor after taking off the cheap one, so we tried several arbors with the same results.

I sent the jacobs chuck back for a replacment.

We are going to use both to see how each is after a year or two.
I'll let you know.

Rob

We had an empty 40 taper tool holder at the shop so we did a little test.

We bought a $300 keyless chuck from jacobs.

We bought a $12 keyless chuck from a sales flier that came over our fax.

The jacobs chuck ran out .003 the mystery chuck ran out .0004.

Our country is in serious s##t.

usually i spray electrical contact cleaner working chuck jaws till all the grease and gunk drips out.
chuck up rod in lathe and turn .001 off so no runout and then put drill chuck on it and indicate the drill chuck mount taper. usually it is good. then i mount the drill chuck arbor on to drill chuck and indicate that. usually runout coming from arbor or gunk dirt grease in the chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back