What's new
What's new

Expected Accuracy from Metal Supplier

Lenord

Aluminum
All,

How accurate of a cut from a 6" OD solid round of steel should I expect ? I asked for .250, I get .375. I ask for .625 and get .800".
I did ask for a slightly larger cut, but on a few thou., not that much.

In addition, the cuts were not straight. There is a .025" difference from one side to the other, micrometer measured.

Is this normal ? Am I too fussy ? (I had to face all of these pieces )

Thanks
Lenord

They sure don't want to short you. You could try next time to be more specific. Give them thickness tolerances (limits) and parallelism requirements. If they are at all responsive to such things, it will no doubt affect your cost. You can then judge if the extra cost is cheaper than facing them off.

John

It seems to me the cut should be straighter than .025. But I don't know what would be reasonable. There are some pretty nice saws out there that advertise squareness of .005, but that don't mean all saw cutting places own those saws.

As far as the length goes, you may want to ask what their standard procedure is. Where I by stock, if I tell them 3 inches long, they automatically add 1/8 and I will get 3.125 long parts. This is because it is assumed you will face off approx. 1/16 per side. Also, a saw that is set to cut off blanks at 3.125, will cut a piece short every now and then. It's just the nature of the beast. They are not perfect systems. Some times a bar will snag a gap or something on the saw and come up short. The 1/8 oversized length helps insure that when the saw goofs up, the piece can usually still be used.

Back