What's new
What's new

OT- I never ceased to be amazed at what search engines *don't* find.

• Thread starter D. Thomas
  • Start date
  • Replies 5
  • Views 976
D

D. Thomas

The Wadkin patternmakers mill being a perfect recent example. Google brings up maybe 3 obscure reference to one, and not a single image anywhere on the web.

Not I know damn well, that out of the whole planet Earth, and gazillons of web sites, they are probably hundreds of references to those things somewhere on the web.

Happens all the time when I'm looking for more info on auction machines. Typical result is it bringing up something that looks good until I realize it's linking to the very same auction ! Otherwise, nothing.

Search engines are an amazing thing, but I sure hope there is hope for them getting better in the future !

For the example given, at Google, I input 'wadkin patternmaker mill' and 'wadkin patter maker mill' and then clicked 'images' and get nothing.

If you have enough time and patience to root around you can often unearth some images by clicking on links and following the trail, which I assume is what you did ?

But what I'm really thinking about are just basic machine tools where the info links seem way less than what are probably really out there.

For those Wadkin image links did you use Google or a webcrawler of some sort ?

[This message has been edited by D. Thomas (edited 08-16-2004).]

I used Google. Search term was "wadkin pattern milling machine". I used the modifiers -pdf -facilities .

Modifiers are very useful. You could add +auction and then all sites must contain the word auction.

Back