What's new
What's new

Railroad track alloy?

Wild West

Hot Rolled
Does anyone here know what alloy steel 141#/yd. track is made from? I am using some 1" long pcs. to make book ends. It sawed like 4130 at about 40RC and when I faced it on the mill it machined like it was 4130 RC40. I was just wondering what they make this stuff out of. It says "141 A8 HH" on the side. I'm not sure if the A8 HH has anything to do with alloy or not.

Jim
www.pivotlok.com

I know they have different "weights" depending on the use. This particular track is used on a high traffic, heavy use, freight only line at the Tehachapi Loop in Tehachapi, CA.. At 141#/yd. this is considered heavy use rail. There are heavier rails for dock cranes but for RR use this is about the biggest I know of. I always thought that rail track was a higher carbon HR steel that was flame surface hardened on the wheel surface but this stuff is tough all the way thru.

There used to be 152# on the Pennsy main line, but that was in the days of steam. Probably has lots of Manganese so the top will work harden. Do not think it is low alloy like 4130.

John

Here's the train now!

Train.jpg

I know it is some weird stuff, I was told, and have gotten same answer from other people that if the metal is scored to create a stress riser, and then wacked with a sledge it will break like glass. I also heard, and confirmed from several sources that a bad flat spot on a wheel can cause a section of the rail to break off every time that spot on the wheel hits the rail.

It does not cut or machine too bad in my experience

Bill

standard rail steel for section weights 121 pounds and over is as follows:

carbon 0.72-0.82%
manganese 0.75-1.05%
phos. max. 0.035%
sulphur max. 0.035%
silicon 0.10-0.35%

Be careful selling rail to a scrapper. Most legit scrap metal dealers will want to know where you got the rail.....if it is truly yours and you can verify it will usually bring a premimum price.
Cheers Ross
Yes i have scrapped rail before and yes i did have the papers to show when selling the rail.

Ross, good points; and am not likely to actually spend the effort anytime soon. But the rail is on a siding to an old feed mill I have owned for 20 years. About 5 years ago they re-ballasted and did some maintenance to the mainline and removed the switchgear and frogs to the siding, for safety. The antique switchgear and scrap is piled up on my side, but someone made off with the old pole and flag indicator.

I suppose if it came to actually getting around to scrapping it myself, it might be necessary to look up how the siding was priced out, or whether the RR merely provided the facilities without "selling" them as sometimes happened. But clearly they have abandoned it and left the remainder, including junk, on my property. Not being down there (couple states away) to look closely, would guess it is only maybe 100 yds - 400 ft (single side) of steel rail left. The siding was one of 2 put in around the turn of the last century, and then maintained and used until the mid 70's or so. The other was torn out complete including rails, on the other side of the mainline tracks "many" years ago.

smt

Stephen, if its on your property then its yours and you are free to so with it what you want. I know a bit about how railroads work, and the siding would have been paid for by the feed mill when it was installed.

If you want to be a good samaritan donate the rail to a local non profit railroad museum. They are always in need of rail and switch components.

Another use for old rail... if you have rural property needing a driveway you can use the rail along the sides of your intended driveway, using the "fish plates" to join pieces end-to-end, and perhaps some rods between the rails to maintain consistent "gauge", then fill in between the rails with gravel.

The only problem with this idea is any curves in your intended driveway.

Back