What's new
What's new

Clausing 5900 series threading questions.

jpikston

Aluminum
Hello.
Can a Clausing 5914 be set up to cut metric threads?
How many gears would I have to change out?
Any knowledge about this lathe would be welcome.
Thanks,
Eddie

Yes it can. You need the metric threading attachment which is a bracket and multiple gears.

The gears you use are determined by the metric thread you wish to cut.

I have a copy of the Clausing instructions for this accessory. I can send it to you if you wish. It in a "tif" format.

The instructions would be nice. I appreciate your courtesy. How big is the tif. image file? I'm on a reallly sloooowwww dial up here so it could take a while for my email program to pull down the attachments if the images are large. I don't mean to nit pick and bitch but is there any way you could upload the images to web space so that I could download them when I have the time? If not please email them to me at [email protected].

Thank You,
Ed

Eddie,...there was an OEM metric threading set on ebay a week or 2 ago...were you the lucky winner?

A couple things to go thru on basic principles....the SAE leadscrew and threading dial mean nothing when chasing metric threads with the proper 127T change gear mounted in the train. So, once you close the half-nuts for the first time...that's it until you're done. You'll want to make sure that the REV (erse) selector on your drum switch is working properly, or else you have a reverse programmed into your VFD if you are using one, as you'll spend half the time in reverse spindle, "winding" the tool back out of the threads to setup for the next chasing pass.

-Matt

Mat, I didn't bid on or in the Clausing metric thread adapter. I believe i'm going to buy a 5914 real soon though.

Fred, Please email that metric instruction manual to me at the address below when you find the time.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Please email the manual to:

[email protected]

Back