What's new
What's new

Clausing or Acer Engine Lathe?

GFC

Plastic
I have been looking for a long time at purchasing a 13 x 40 or 15 x 50 clean, original 8015 or 8031 Clausing lathe with tooling (1975-1987). I find they cost as much as a new Acer 14 x 40 lathe. I know nothing about the Acer lathe. Nor can I find reviews and ratings on the Acer. The machine will be used in my home shop. Any advice from a knowledgeable machinist would be useful and appreciated very much.

Hmm, those numbers say "8000 series Clausing Colchester" lathes to me.

I also know zero about the Acer but have a model 8015 lathe.

I think those two designs have been more or less knocked off to a "T", I've seen models in Grizzly and elsewhere that I had to really study for a long while to even find a visual clue that was different*

The design is a decent one, pressure-fed oiling, wet clutch packs, inch/metric threading by flipping levers only, large spindle bores, high spindle speeds and pretty good rigidity. They will power-feed against a hard stop and kick out without damaging the machine.

Main problem there, is repair shops seem to *love* those lathes and work the absolute tar out of them, difficult to find a clean, unworn machine...and fixing them can put a very large leak in your bank account, the OE and aftermarket parts are not cheap.

* except for the WWF belt buckle :D

Acer is a decent midrange made in Taiwan lathe.
About equivalent to a Sharp, Victor, Jet ZX, or other taiwan lathe.
The smaller 14x40, weighing in at a mere 2300lbs, is probably competitive with a Grizzly- In this corner, we have the Green Bear- and over here, "ACE" Acer.

Probably inferior to a taiwan or korean Mori clone, like a Webb, Hwacheon, or Takisawa.

http://www.acergroup.com/laths.htm

http://www.victormachines.com/13in_14in_lathes.html

http://www.webbmachinery.com/Namseon/namseon_engine_lathes.htm

Colchester and Clausing are now owned by the 800 Group

Colchester is a 100 year old UK company. Their 3 hp, 13” lathe is advertised in NJ at about $15k, with larger heavy duty 10 hp ones at twice that and up. Colchester Machine Tool Solutions Homepage - Colchester Machine Tool Solutions They also make their own super precision bearings and Pratt Burnerd chucks.

Hmm, those numbers say "8000 series Clausing Colchester" lathes to me.

I also know zero about the Acer but have a model 8015 lathe.

I think those two designs have been more or less knocked off to a "T", I've seen models in Grizzly and elsewhere that I had to really study for a long while to even find a visual clue that was different*

The design is a decent one, pressure-fed oiling, wet clutch packs, inch/metric threading by flipping levers only, large spindle bores, high spindle speeds and pretty good rigidity. They will power-feed against a hard stop and kick out without damaging the machine.

Main problem there, is repair shops seem to *love* those lathes and work the absolute tar out of them, difficult to find a clean, unworn machine...and fixing them can put a very large leak in your bank account, the OE and aftermarket parts are not cheap.

* except for the WWF belt buckle :D

Last edited:
At least your new chinese wont have a head full of busted gears,and the bed will have accuracy rather than wear.......I have 50 years with small English lathes....and I would buy new asian .Three lifetimes tend to wear out the best....Incidentally,I have an old Col Master,and score so far is last three owners deceased,with me probably the fourth.Two with asbestos cancer from when they were apprentices.....

Back