What's new
What's new

Clausing Variable drive drill press

Gordo

Hot Rolled
I am looking for some parts for a calusing 15" drill press for the variable drive. I guess the whole set up. I have one that is worn out and would like to replace them with used ones as the parts form clausing are out of my price range. I need both the motor drive and the spindle pulleys. I am hopping that some you you guys out there have a parts machine in the corner that you would like to see go to a good home for cheap.
Thanks in advance.

If the V/S drive is similar to the one used on the 12" lathe, you might be able to replace the plastic bushings and make it usable again. If so the bushings just snap in place but have to be bored to finished size. Last I bought fo a lathe were about $21. ea.

Can't help you with the parts, but I do have a rebuilt 15" Clausing variable speed. First thing, is you may not need a complete rebuild. The belt is one of the first things to go. It might still look OK, but squeek, squeel, and vibrate. No alternative but to spend the $$ for a new one (maybe $80?).

Bearings you can get from a bearing house.

My vari-speed pulleys were OK, and yours may be as well, but it looked like they would be easy to face if they had been chewed up.

I replaced the 1140 rpm 3 phase 3/4 hp motor on mine with an 1140 rpm single phase. If you want the 3 phase motor and are nearby (N. California) I'd swap it for whatever is fair. Right now it's VFD powered on a small lathe that I'm planning to sell.

Thanks for the response. After some further inspection I have taken the driven sheve apart and found that it had a poured in spline? I thought it was plastic but would not melt out and I started to chisle it out and it looked like metal. The motor pulley is gone so I have to find one.

Back