What's new
What's new

Shipping a tractor question

rich p

Cast Iron
I sold a John Deere 400 garden tractor to a guy in Michigan (I'm in CT.) and am going to make a skid and a frame around it. The buyer said he would arrange pickup with a truck that has a tailgate. How do they get this 1500 lbs skid onto the tailgate? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Pallet jack.

(so, seriously, you should allow 3-1/2" of free-air underneath so the pallet jack can go in and pick it up....saves a lot of wrestling and cursing later)

I think I would go to a pallet manufacturing place and have them make you a pallet.
Or go to a factory and look at the pallets out in back of the building. Ask them what they want for a couple that are close to what you want.
I have a pallet manufacturing place close by and I have had them make three or four pallets a year and usually I furnish coffee for the coffee mess and that seems to pay the bill. One can of folgers usually gets it done.
Regards Walt.

Try going to the John Deere dealer. They my have the pallet that oneof these came off of if not something similar. They are shipped with the wheels off.

He must mean a lift tailgate truck but, yes they still have to lift it onto the lift gate. If you have a concrete pad or floor you may be able to roll it on pipe or winch it on. I assume he knows you don't have a forklift so they will be prepared to do the job. If in doubt call him and ask how he will do it.

Back