What's new
What's new

Leblond jumpin'outta gear

enlo2003

Plastic
I have a 1967 leblond regal gear head lathe.It works great in the low and high gear range(low-45-137rpm;high 600-1800rpm)but the mid range (145-550)jumps outta gear sometimes when taking roughing cuts.It is a 14" lathe and works great but these speed ranges are a pain in the neck some times.Any suggestions?

If it's like mine, there is a small brass dog that holds the gear in place. My dog is wore quite well, and will also pop out of gear (low gear). When I say dog, it's actually a Y, the leg of the Y connects to an arm, the top of the Y is actually rectangular and goes on either side of the gear.

You might take the cover off and just have a look. Move the handles back and forth, look for sloppy movements.

Before removing the cover, make sure you clean the machine well, you dont want to accidentally drop chips into the gear box.

-Jacob

Thanks for the reply Jacob.Mine does have some loose play in the handles.It jumps out in mid range gear though,sings pretty good in low and high.Is it a quick fix though or a lot of disassembly?If a time killer I'll just have to keep living with it till' I can slow down.
Eric Inlow

Back