What's new
What's new

Craftsman horizontal bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Webb

Titanium
SWMBO has been running around all over the south the last two weeks.
She bought a Craftsman Horizontal Bandsaw at a flea market in Kentucky last week. She said it is a beautiful machine and has a tilting table. She also said it runs very nice. She just had to have it.

So my question is, is this a horizontal/vertical bandsaw? She didn't give me the model number.
She said the thing is kind of heavy. She is wondering how to get her six dollar saw home.
I asked her if she can break it down and UPS it. She just said she will see. Knowing her, she will try to check it as baggage on the flight home. And probably get away with it.

And I thought I was bad about buying machines and then wondering how to get it home.

Les

Some hint of year would be desirable. I have Craftsman catalogs from the 1950's to 1990's but need more info.

Thank you Don.
I guess I will have to wait until I see it to know what it is.
She just called from Kelsey Mill, NC and said she hasn't figured out how she will ship it. From her description it is a Craftsman horizontal, but she said it has a tilting table which would leave me to believe it is a H/V.
confused.gif

Les

My curiosity got the better of me, so I looked in a 1941 Craftsman catalog and all they had was a tiny Dunlap power hack saw "heavy duty-built for years of service..$25.95"

So then I look in a 1968 Craftsman catalog and the closest I come is an "endless blade hack saw". Funny, I didn't remember horizontal band saws being called that.

Now I'm wondering if it's not that tilting blade thing of more recent vintage...i.e. kinda like a little shipwrights bandsaw ?

For what it's worth.

Here's the number for Craftsman Continous-Blade Power Hacksaw 10822920

You can go to www.sears.com and go to parts, type the above number in and get a diagram.

I will see if I can get her to e-mail me the model number before she takes off on a several day long trail ride tomorrow. The cellphone doesn't work where she is and her friends have internet service but no telephone where they are at. I haven't quite figured that one out yet.

I wouldn't mind if it is a power hacksaw. We hardly need another horizontal or vertical bandsaw. Already have three of each of those.
If the lady wants to buy more tools, who am I to argue?

Les

FWIW, I have manuals for both the Atlas 4350 power hacksaw and the 4352 bandsaw. The latter looks quite a bit like the current import 4x6 bandsaws.

Sears sold the hacksaw as the Craftsman Model 80 (in 1955, at least).

Mike, near Chicago

Since we're on the subject of power hacksaws,does anyone have any info on Peerless Hacksaws?I had one given to me and it has a broken lever that I think is a downfeed rate control.There are a few other things that are a mystery to me also.
Thanks,Robert.

[This message has been edited by gamachinist (edited 07-30-2003).]

I have one of these Craftsman continuous hacksaws. I hate it. It makes the ubiquitous Asian 4x6 bandsaws look good. The blades jump, the roller guides jam up with chips, and the motor shorts when chips get in the guts. The drive is open plastic and die-cast gearing, plus a v-belt with a much-too-small motor pulley and a very half-axxed guard. The only positives are that it cost me $69 and that the downfeed has a hydraulic cylinder rather than a spring.

You must have lubed the blade.

I had a bunch of problems with the Atlas 4353 I have but they went away when I cleaned the blade and bladewheels. (Atlas made the Craftsman stuff for quite a while)

Mine cost me $50, so maybe I am just $19 more pleased then you...........

The newer crapsman one we have in teh model shop at work is always down. I dunno what model it is.
It saya craftsman on it, and it has a power cord, that is enough info for me.....

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 07-30-2003).]

If it is an Atlas built saw (sold by Sears), I'd be hoping it is this one Model #101.22901. Strickly horizontal cut-off bandsaw and only a 4" X 6" capacity but a well built hard working cast iron unit. I have had one since new in 73'. Great saw!
I bought an Atlas aluminum framed similar size (also 60" blade) saw that could be used horizontal/verticle but I didn't like it as much as the cast iron Craftsman.

SWMBO sent me what she said was the info on the saw.
Craftsman/Sears Roebuck
Model 156963
Type COBK9
1/2 HP

I went to sears.com parts and tried that number with no luck. I tried some different prefix numbers also with no luck.

Now she is not sure she will bring it home. It seems she has been offered $100 for the saw she paid $6 for. She said she might part with it if they offer $125.
If she is expecting profits like that, I'd say she must have gone to the D. Thomas School of Business.
tongue.gif

Les

My eyes were burning when I saw the "Craftsman" post again...now I know why
wink.gif

Yep, she's getting there, but there's more money in large optical flats
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back