• Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 5,499
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Notb4Coffee

Hey guys...

Hubby's shopmates are always looking for good jokes and comics. I'm trying to find something/ anything on Machinist, Machine shops, ect. Cartoons, Comics, funnies, anything. I have run the google search many times with nothing coming back.

Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

you might enjoy The White Board.

http://www.the-whiteboard.com/

(generally about misadventures around the machine shop, with frequent sidetracks into quantum theory, space time, and idiot newb's.)

which is part of the tinkers guild. which is a board of guys who do machine work and modification to paintball markers and other junkyard wars type stuff.

guild at:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/goto?forumid=9013

I endorse the "Bull of the Woods" cartoons. J R Williams worked many years in machine shops and had a keen eye for the unique culture to be found among the skilled working class in the '20's and '30's. They are great and right on target. His calender cartoons have wallpapered many a machine shop lunch room.

If you feel like spending a little money you can sometimes find a collections of J R Williams cartoons in coffee table books. Check the used book stores.

The book of cartoons buy Williams is available, I have two copies. Check for posts in this forum and you will find the address for them, I do not have it available right now, but it was somewhere in Canada. The books were only $5.00 and we love them.

Charles

For what it's worth...most, if not all of the cartoons done by J.R.Williams were based on the crew at the Bullard Machine Co. of Bridgeport,Connecticut. He spent a large part of his working life with that company. When I was a kid in school his cartoons ran in our local newspaper,alternating with another one called "Major Hoople". How about it Forrest, you 'ol dude, you old enough to remember the Major? "Harrumph,Kaff,Kaff"?

Major Hoople? Oh, yes. He's my model for behavior in matters of public deportment and coping with familial crises.

When I was a kid my Dad and three of his buddies went up to Bella Coola BC to hunt moose. That part of the world is moose heaven; rough, very brushy, and swampy. They came back all scratched and sore and bruised up with an 1100 moose (Dad's) and two others less monumental but tender and tasty. There was a flurry of cutting and wrapping which the wives would not even consider assisting (It's your moose, bwana) and Dad has to rent a commercial locker to keep the "family meat".

"Come on son, time for us men to head for the frozen boondocks and fetch the meat for tomorrow's supper" was the dreaded call three days a week.

We gnawed on that moose for 11 months. This wasn't a lordly moose from the National Geographic impassively browsing the willows. No, this was a hard bitten Marine on liberty moose whose duty and pleasure it was to hustle every sleasy bar bitch moosette 24/7 and battle the other bar district Marine moose for dominance until the erustus ship left port til the next year.

Dad's moose was as tough and fit as any Marine drill instructor. The roasts were tugboat fenders. The steaks were as the truck tire treeads you see on the highway shoulders. The hamburger had the texture of buckshot jello and was about as tasty even with the addition of 40% beef suet. Mom said even the gravy was tough.

The moose did make excellent chili with plenty of action and staying power. I was the envy of every kid in 6th grade.

We ate and we ate on that damn moose until about July of the next year when Dad gave of the locker and brought home the remainder is a cardboard box. We couldn't get rid of it. The neighbors already hated us. Dad wanted to give it to a kennel but Mom objected. We couldn't stand the thought of another moose supper wrought my Depression raise mother who was an excellent cook but never threw away edible food in her life.

In the middle of this crisis the newspaper came with the J R Williams' "Out Our Way" strip showing the family dancing around the table singing a joyful song on the subject of Dad the great hunter ending with the words "...the moose is down to soup". The paper was passed around and we all laughed ourselves into physical collapse.

The timing of that cartoon and the year of eating 740 lb cut and wrapped moose over the winter of 1953-54 made for an enduring faamily legend.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 11-06-2003).]

Forrest your father and his friends must have realy been looking for an adventure to go hunting in Bella Coola in 1954. Bella Coola is even today truely a long way from no where. My family drove cross country from Nova Scotia in 1976 and one of the high lights of the trip was a trip into Bella Coola . It was still such a very isolated place that we made the local Newspaper for being the first first vehical with Nova Scotia Plates to ever visit the valley. The road over land from Williams lake known as as the Bella Coola Highway was 375 miles of dirt road through a very rugged and senic countryside. Dirt road does't realy adequetly describe this so called highway as some of the hairpin turns on the switchbacks were so sharp that you could not get around without backing up . When backing up your rear bumpper would be out over the edge of the cliff. If I remember correctly this road was built by loggers back in 1954. Given that this was an area that when I was there in 1976 people still went to to homestead much the same as in less remote areas at the turn of the century it must have been a real adventure going there in 1954

Bull of the Woods

For what it's worth...most, if not all of the cartoons done by J.R.Williams were based on the crew at the Bullard Machine Co. of Bridgeport,Connecticut. He spent a large part of his working life with that company. When I was a kid in school his cartoons ran in our local newspaper,alternating with another one called "Major Hoople". How about it Forrest, you 'ol dude, you old enough to remember the Major? "Harrumph,Kaff,Kaff"?

I never knew that Williams worked at Bullard's. It would certainly explain all the planers depicted in the cartoons.

"Our Boarding House, with Major Hoople" was the strip name, IIRC. FAP!

Other cartoonists associated with Bridgeport were Walt Kelly(Pogo) and Al Capp
(Lil' Abner).

Tom

Check this web site: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=46711&cat=1,46096,46100&ap=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back