What's new
What's new

Need a toe jack alternative!

jkilroy

Diamond
Ok, now that work is cruising along nicely on the K&T (New pics soon) I have a problem. The machine is up on 2 2x4's, or about 3" off the ground. I cant pick it up with straps because the forklift will hit the ceiling and I can't set it any lower because thats how thick the forks are. Nobody in town (or the next town) rents toe jacks.

On the front of the machine I can jack up under the knee and that works fine but there isn't a darn thing to jack from the back. How do I get this thing, all 7000lbs, off of those 2x4's?

perhaps someone wiser than me can explain why this WONT work.....

but- (think of a stack of pennies)...

have you considererd stacking 1/4 plate on the outside corners (to get the forks out).... then tapping the plate out one lift at a time (round-robin style & combine with JL sargent's bars)???

their might be a safety reason NOT to do this... not sure, but it seems like it would work.... if not im sure others will chime in shortly...

Pry bars, pinch bars, as JL Sargent described. Leave something under the base so you can get a bar back under when you need to.

Be careful with Johnson bars. The axle is far enough from the end that when you get near vertical the bar wants to fly out of your hands, and they can be hard to control. I use them when I need to move something by rolling, and pinch bars when I need to raise something. a 36" bar is long enough to do what you want if the leverage is right and you lower it in small increments, longer is better.

I have used the pry bar as a level to lift a safe off the floor and put 1 inch wood under the safe as it rose. When it go high enough I could use other jacks.

Not the best way, but its my way that worked for me.

Jerry

I have lifted and moved heavy equipment with large Johnson bars and it works fine. As said be careful not to get the bar under to far and loose control. Another option is to put ice under the base and let the machine melt in place. You can also move the machine a little to position it as the ice melts.

Joe

Bars combined with hardwood long taper wedges will make your job easy. The wedges are very low tech,infinitaly adjustable,and nearly idiot proof.You can drive them in to start a load up off the floor,use them to control the desent in very small increments for heavy loads,and even hold open doors,chock the wheels on a pallet jack &etc.
Lee

I'm suprised no on mentioned wedges. Get a couple of pieces of oak and cut them into long wedge shapes. Pry the machine up and slip the wedges under. Now pull out the blocks. Now you can back the wedges out at watever rate you want and works with your pry bar.

Johnson bars are like WD-40...everyone loves to love them (maybe, like with WD-40 it's the cute name :rolleyes: ) but they are dangerous and physically taxing for lifting the edge of anything over 500 lbs. Beyond 500 lbs and you need a proper heeled pinch bar.

Even better a proper GKS toe jack ;)

Home forged 6ft 4142 pinch bar made in 1977. Little junk iron blocks (an assortment)for fulcrum(s). Other blocks, wedges, whatever. Almost always by myself, so I also use a five foot (or so) light wood stick with nail driven thru the business end to "hook" blocks out as you hold machine up (this stick is also handy for repositioning rollers). Worked on up to 11,000 lb #5 mill. Used hydraulics on 14,900 lb jig bore, which I put in shop and swung 90 degrees by myself.

John

I thought you guys were going to say, HARD WORK!
Nah, just buy a toejack, ya cheapskate ! ;)

v15.jpg

Note the adjustable gross positions, the swiveling feet, the wheels, the two position handle (one position for transport on the wheels and the other for pumping...it extends too !), and the quick change connector for remote pump if needed. The new sofa can wait, get one..

....hardwork.

and lots of CAUTION>>>

whichever method you use, take the time to stand back, look at what you want to do, imagine EACH step..(will the bar reach, or is something in the way, etc)... and once you can see EACH step from beginning to end, bring it on down.....

that is probably redundant since you are a machinist....(one of the few people that constantly thinks this way).... but worth mentioning just for safety....

Have you seen the prices on toe jacks!
I was thinking maybe 800 bucks for the 5 ton....have they gone up ? Re sporatic use...hey, you get one and you'll be inspired to buy more machines !

Sheesh, 800 bucks...The Metal Doctor spends that much on lunch ! (depending on wine list and Segway valet parket tips of course ;) )

You dont need a toe jack. Pinch bar up to railroad jack toe height and away you go. I use two RR jacks of this type and oak 4x4s. You want it 4' off the ground, just gather up more 4x4s.

Back